Davys in Sheffield - Paternoster Row

Did anyone work at authur davys factory on patnoster row Sheffield in the 1960s

My father Tommy Clarke we lived in a Davys flat at page hall above bakery

Hi my names pat green and I worked with tommy in the stores what a great bloke.Dennis and Pete Compton where there at the same time. I was a van lad on the wholesale side before I went into the stores. Then into the bread plant.

Have a lot of fond memories of that place. Regards. Pat.

I worked with tommy Clarke in the stores with Dennis and Pete Compton. Was a van lad first on the wholesale side. Went into the stores and then into the bread plant have some great memories of that place.

i worked in the bakery on Paternoster Row between 1966 and 1969 in the Confec. Dept and also the Bakehouse. I used to hang around with some girls called Maureen, Rita and Kathy. i remember there was a lad called Glen who used to make the eclaires and was always singing 'Bend Me Shape Me' at the top of his voice. Trevor and Andy used to do the mixes. There was no such thing as Health and Safety then. We used to totter around in our big cork wedge heels with our overalls up our backsides. Our turban would be sat as far back on our heads as possible, Our lunch break would be spent in the howard pub!! Ah those were the days lol......

my mum annie used to work there in the 60s, she always fetched the cream buns home . i always picked the elephants feet,what memories

Hi

I worked in the stores at that time then moved to work in the bread plant,enjoyed my time working at Davys.

I started work at Arthur Davy's Fargate bakery. The foreman was Jock(John) Grierson and the manager was Father Watson. Others there were Paul Abrahams, Malcolm Shemould, Neil, Cliff Johnson, Josie Fox(my wife), Sue(now Pugh), Audrew Vamplew, another Audrey, Kevin(Fingers)Brown, Mervin Jones, John Lindley, Desmond Russell, Glen and a later manager came up from the factory - Brian Barker.

I worked for a while at Paternoster Row on eclairs with Harry Noris (stores), Eric Wilde, Hans motto, manager Vincent Rogers.

I remember slipping on spilt water and landed face down on a drawplate oven burning arms and face but back to work next day. My wife got her hand trapped in a chocolate enrobing machine and fir brigade had to cut the machine up to get her hand out.

Happy days - most of them

Many years of you stood outside Bunney's (Castle Street/Waingate, you could experience 'Double Aroma' as in one from the coffee from Davy's (Haymarket) and another from whatever Tennant's brewery on Lady's Bridge emitted.

Memories, Saturday 's evening meal was nearly always Davy's tomato sausage, and a walnut and coffee cake from, if I remember correctly Hagenbachs's. Best sausages and never bettered.

Davy's In Sheffield - Paternoster Row

I worked at Davy's at Fargate, The Victoria Cafe was on the top floor. 1969. I once had cause to visit the factory on Paternoster Row, situated behind The County Hotel, on Howard Street.

On that day I got a lift back from Paternoster Row, it was an elevating experience.

Mr. Reid was my boss at Fargate.

I had my wedding cake made by Davys and had to go to Paternoster row to order and collect. Took it home on the tram in 3 boxes, arrived in perfect condition. It was a beautiful cake and I’ve still got the decorations that were on it, although they’re a little off colour now.

my name is david cam i worked in every department started as a van lad 1969 my driver was ruih i think she married ken spooner then went in to the pork pie department jack was maneger  tommy and ann were supervisors  i remember tommy clark we started afoot ball team arthur davys grea lad tommy  i remember harry worked in confectionerys  he was gay his nick name was hand bag harry i can rember alot more could go on all night great place to work 

Around 1960, as a somewhat timid and reluctant pupil (and fish out of water!) at Central Technical School, West Street, I remember walking, probably once a week, to tin-smithing classes at a workshop somewhere near to Davy's factory. It might well have felt as if I was serving a life sentence for something of which I was not guilty!  The futility and tediousness of it all was, however, often relieved by the appearance of a bag of broken sugar icing which was greedily consumed by all of us. By such acts of kindness is life remembered! Whoever you were, thank you!