Sign in to follow this  

Website on my NAS, why is it slow?

I'm doing a little web development stuff, on my local network.

I have a Synology NAS (with Apache, MySQL, PHP etc), which is wired in to my router, and my Mac is also wired in to my router (all gigabit ethernet).

It seems really slow to load websites (Wordpress). Depending on the WP theme, it gets slower...

I know that's not much to go on, but thought I'm put it out there, see if anyone has any ideas, why it's slow, what I need to test, anything I need to do to speed things up?

Ta.

---------- Post added 19-07-2018 at 01:22 ----------

Could be my NAS is old and struggling? Just checked and CPU was at 99%, I managed to get it back down to around 10-15%, but things still feel slow.

Which model is it? The older and lower end models are quite restricted CPU-wise.

My older DS213J struggles if I try to get it to do more than a couple of things.

Depending which NAS it is, that could be the problem.

A lot of the pre built NAS boxes come with fairly low CPU/RAM. Might help to give the model details. It's also worth pointing out that it doesn't matter what speed the LAN runs at if the other bits and bobs can't supply the data fast enough.

Which model is it? The older and lower end models are quite restricted CPU-wise.

My older DS213J struggles if I try to get it to do more than a couple of things.

Mine is a DS213J also.

Have uninstalled A/V and cloud sync and cloud station. That seems to have improved things.

Wondering if I can put the drives in to another NAS, without having to reformat and lose data?

Also may get another NAS, maybe something with Linux FreeNAS.

---------- Post added 19-07-2018 at 10:35 ----------

Depending which NAS it is, that could be the problem.

A lot of the pre built NAS boxes come with fairly low CPU/RAM. Might help to give the model details. It's also worth pointing out that it doesn't matter what speed the LAN runs at if the other bits and bobs can't supply the data fast enough.

Thanks. It's fairly low power (CPU) NAS. Can't do transcoding of video files for example. Aside from that, I hadn't really noticed a problem with it before, so it just didn't occur to me that the site issue would be a hardware one.

The migration forwards to newer synology devices is easy enough, I went from a 210j+ to a 216play a couple of years ago and it was fairly painless.

Thanks. It's fairly low power (CPU) NAS. Can't do transcoding of video files for example. Aside from that, I hadn't really noticed a problem with it before, so it just didn't occur to me that the site issue would be a hardware one.

It all comes down to what you need it to do. My main NAS does a lot of transcoding and other CPU/RAM intensive tasks. I found a nice price to power ratio with the new Ryzen 2400G on a ITX board all built into a SilverStone SST-DS380. It was built over a couple of years but did cost quite a lot. Price can be trimmed by not using a RAID card and you have some HDDs.

There's no arguing that the pre built NAS boxes are nice and compact, and some are upping the power built into them. I like to self build so I'm not tied to an OS and can build to my needs. I doubt you can swap the drives to a self build and keep the data if they are in any kind of RAID. As said above, if you're keeping the same make of pre built, you should be ok but double check first.

Synology support standard RAID formats, but I'm not sure if you could just swap out the drives and mount them somewhere else... It's running linux under the hood though, so it's possible that it would work.

I'm using mirroring, so in theory I could mount a drive very easily, possibly even on windoze.

Thanks everyone.

I ended up putting apache2, php and mysql on a Linux laptop with a SSD in it; and you can definitely notice the difference compared to running the Wordpress site on the Synology. It's practically instant now. I'll just keep that arrangement, and have to live with the DS213j for now, it's fine for everything else I use it for, file storage, SVN server etc.

Mine is a DS213J also.

Have uninstalled A/V and cloud sync and cloud station. That seems to have improved things.

Wondering if I can put the drives in to another NAS, without having to reformat and lose data?

Also may get another NAS, maybe something with Linux FreeNAS

FreeNAS (not be confused with Nas4Free) is actually based on BSD. It is a rather excellent system though if you can stuff it with enough memory. I've run some extremely large workloads on FreeNAS based SAN storage before.

FreeNAS (not be confused with Nas4Free) is actually based on BSD. It is a rather excellent system though if you can stuff it with enough memory. I've run some extremely large workloads on FreeNAS based SAN storage before.

I don't know much about it to be honest. I do get the impression though, that FreeNAS would be a lot more flexible and configurable that the likes of a Synology (which is great for ease of use of user friendly interface etc).

For reference Waldo

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS218+#specs

DS218+ Intel Celeron J3355 Dual Core 2 Yes Apollolake DDR3L SO-DIMM 2GB

DS213+ Freescale P1022 Dual Core 2 Yes Qoriq DDR3 512 MB

I can't find any detail about the Freescale processor and how it would compare, but I expect that and the 512MB memory are what's limiting you.

The 218play interestingly doesn't have a celeron.

718+ appears to be better value actually, slightly more, but a big step up in power.

No reason to replace my current model, but if I were doing then the 718+ would be the answer.

Thanks Cyclone. Yeah, if that's the spec for the 213+ model? The 213j will be worse! Not sure about their naming conventions for newer models, but for example, with the 213, from least powerful to most, I think it goes...

213j (budget model)

213+

Not sure where the Play version would be on that list?

From what I can gather, the 213j has a 1.2 GHz cpu and 512mb of DDR3 ram. It works fine just for file transfer, playing media (not transcoding video though), and SVN server. Rubbish as a web server though, well, for resource intensive wordpress sites (probably lots of DB queries going on), no good at all!