Council tree felling...

According to this, https://www.arborday.org/trees/treeguide/TreeDetail.cfm?ItemID=904 a mature London Plane is between 75ft and 100ft tall with a spread of 80ft.

According to the SCC report https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/files/A54E2212C1B69F1EA55BE63BB3D3E145/pdf/17_04081_RG3-TREE_CONDITION_SURVEY_FITZALAN_SQUARE-1153346.pdf the trees in Fitzalan Square are 14m high (46ft) with a spread of 12m (39ft) - so less than half the size of a mature tree.

Using your human analogy, early maturity here is more early adolescence compared to a full grown adult in their prime.

You're arguing the wrong thing.

Nobody has said that they are large examples of London Plane trees, and therefore the fact that London Plane trees can grow bigger than the ones in Fitzalan Square is irrelevant.

It is the comparison with the trees in Fitzalan Square with any other trees that was the point I was making. They were some of largest trees in the city centre, and had large canopies compared with not only the other trees in the city centre, but fully grown mature trees of other species.

It's not eloquently put when you investigate and realise that it's just flimflam is it.

We do have a good idea what the trees will be and all the claims are in fact correct aren't they.

What are the trees?

What birds, mammals and insects made use of the old trees?

What birds, mammals and insects will make use of the new trees?

Will the change be a net improvement? If not, what will the loss if any be?

Will the proposed design (trees and grass) provide an improvement or not in terms of flood prevention? Can you quantify any changes

Maybe it’s about time you put up or shut up as you clearly know so much, or claim to.

Edited by Eater Sundae
Typo

Robin has already answered most of these questions I think.

Guest makapaka
Robin has already answered most of these questions I think.

Has he? In which post?

I passed the square for the first time in quite a while last night and noticed the missing trees.

My first thoughts were, where are we going to escape the searing sun, how is the ground water going to drain away, what are we going to do without all the bird droppings on the floor, they used to be a lovely shape and I wonder what shape the new trees are going to be?

No, actually I didn’t give a monkey’s. I just thought it looked nice and tidy.

How many people actually use square other than to walk past? are people seriously arguing the space hasnt benefited from being opened up?

Perhaps the wrong tress were planted in the first place as suitable trees are ones which work and create a usable pleasant space. Fitzalen Square wasnt that.

Can somebody provide a link to the planning document for Fitzalan Square that is on the Sheffield.gov website. It is a document with a lot of embedded documents, including layout drawings, report on existing trees etc. I know it’s there as I’ve seen it before but I can’t find it again. I must be looking in the wrong part of their site, but can’t remember what I must have done differently before. Thanks.

I passed the square for the first time in quite a while last night and noticed the missing trees.

My first thoughts were, where are we going to escape the searing sun, how is the ground water going to drain away, what are we going to do without all the bird droppings on the floor, they used to be a lovely shape and I wonder what shape the new trees are going to be?

No, actually I didn’t give a monkey’s. I just thought it looked nice and tidy.

And some people do think those things. What’s your point?

What are the trees?

They are like really big plants that grow out of the ground but that's not important right now.

Has he? In which post?

Why don't you ask him? Or even better have a look back at his posts.

I am waiting for you to answer the question i asked as to the views on street tree removal you accept. I cannot see why you have failed to answer.