Anyone from the village of woodhouse

anyone rember the watering holes in the square .the royal the stagg .cross daggers before it was turned into a hearty farty resturant.the barbers shop in the square owened i think by a bill barley. mrs hunts sweet shop?and any old teddy boys,from the 50s/60

I remember a pub on the road that led down from the square that sold the best pint of Stones beer anywhere. Opposite was a little sweet shop that sold sweets in big glass jars. I've been in Canada for many years now Pollyann so my memory is a bit rusty and I don't know for sure if the pub and the sweet shop are there now. I don't think they will be because I seem to remember that the winding little road has now gone and in its place is an awful highway The stocks and the old picture house stand out in my meory of the old square.

If you two were around in the 50s you might remember my grandpa's on Sheffield road opposite the old West End school. It was the one next door to the butchers and had the apple trees in the back garden.

rogG, I think the pub you mentioned would be the George, if memory serves me right (sometimes doesn't). Used to love playing dominoes in there with the old chaps- always lost though they were good. Still love dominoes and used to play with my smallest Granddaughter until she got too grown-up.

i lived down woodhouse ..............near the junction in the 80s but spent alot of time in the village.........loads of mates lived up that way / stradbroke etc and my grandma lives near the library.

i also did work experience at school at andersons supermarket.

i remember buying toys with my pocket money from the post office (and paying weekly) and the small shop further down (the wizard???)

I remember the Wizard- near the Cross Daaggers -long gone though. I lived on Chapel street next the firstChapel. Left in 1974.

It's moved (again) and is a couple of doors down from the Royal

Hi Strix, do you mean about where Hall's bakery was?

I don't know - it was a newsagents when we arrived in Woodhouse 4 years ago ;)

Hi

I was born in Woodhouse down on Revil Lane had alot of good fun in the square near to the stocks. I remember the sweet shop and also the cobblers on the corner where our worn out shoes had to be taken! we did`nt throw them away and by new!

Can anyone remember the picture hall that used to stand where the new shops are now that was near the sweet shop.

Hi Pollyann, There was the Brunswic Hotel on Station road just below the Police Station, The Junction on the Railway, the George, Stag and the cross Daggers which was turned into a Restrant. This was before they changed the Village centre. There was Rose and French the electrical shop Machin Newsagents and at Woodhouse Mill A Holdsworth Newsagents. This was all in the mid to late 60's.

At the age of 15 I met my first girlfriend at the Junction Pub outside the Jug and Bottle (OFFSALES) her name was Margret Senior from Driver Street

Happy Memories