Windows 10 insider thread

Please not this is a thread for insider previews and NOT the general release.

Well last night on this broken insider preview, (th1 pro) updated to TH2 Pro - all data intact (as such I don't store anything on this - I don't even use it for mail.

So on the latest release (10525) Internet Explorer is no longer available, it only has edge and that does not support java which is needed for nVidia's auto search to work if you are not sure which driver to pick!

I thought the update might have 'repaired' the Store - it didn't!

I'm staying on the slow ring, thus I've still got build 10240, and with that build I think 'Edge' is rubbish. so I've

got IE-11 configured as I like it. So here is a question: Does the latest version of 'Edge' provide for extensions?

There is now a version of VLC player available from the Microsoft Store for use with W10, its 'Free' however, I

suspect ads will appear ever time the player is used. Why do I have a nagging feeling I need a crash course in Ubuntu!

You have to hand it to M$, make an aggressive but tempting offer of a free upgrade and then hit all your new potential

customers with products they never new they needed!

Yes like £79 for PowerDirector for your BluRay from Cyberlink. I haven't check whether extensions exist - as far as IE11 goes all that remains on TH2 is the shortcuts from the 'deleted'(?) IE11.

I got a survey from them about Edge and whether I would recommend it - I said no because:

1. It does not support java - nVidia issue reported above

2. I got the same errors I had on occasion from using LunaTV Browser which is the only browser to have all 3 engines - WebKit (as in Edge and the most problematical), Gecko (Mozilla) and Trident (IE).

I stopped using LunaTV when I discovered that I could not alter my default search provider to DuckDuckGo.

Will let you know about extensions after next boot - but I suspect not unless it comes from themselves.

On the last iteration I installed Comodo Internet Security - I kept getting the nag screen about Defender not working. I uninstalled Comodo - Defender would not update - so I had to manually remover the flotsam and jetsom registry keys left by Comodo after uninstalling it to get Defender updates working again - it would appear M$ is also wanting to cut out AV/Malware software people which they had looked at in the past. The question is this.

Would you rely on an OS's own AV/Malware product when the same company had an employee who 'lost' the Certification Authenticity keys that occur when a new piece of software is installed by M$? :hihi:

I think I am going to see how the 'fast ring' pans out - because if it is what is going to happen long-term, I might save my £9 for Windows through work for something more useful!

---------- Post added 23-08-2015 at 22:04 ----------

Hi, Using Edge as I write this - no, there are no add-ons, just M$ security/privacy options, including protected content (that used to be in Windows Media Player setup - i.e., retrieve licences which would lock such things as music files to the one device).

So basically, you do as M$ tells you too or forget it (as far as edge is concerned).

[uPDATE: just tried launching Calculator and same behaviour as Store - launches then quits!

Edited by swarfendor43

OK, on the past fast ring installs, The Store, failed to repair but guess what? th2 build 10547 has rectified the Store faults!

As an insider on the slow ring, I've just been upgrade to Win10 Build 10565

which is due to expire on the 16th of July 2016.

Initial observations

M$ Edge does still does not allow the use of extensions.

There is a whole host of stuff running in the background ( default is on )

to turn off what you don't want, from the start button select settings > Privacy

and go through the 15 sections and turn off almost everything.

Hi Mike,

Been offered the same update but it won't take - presumably because I have polluted the install with Mozilla Firefox? :hihi:

I've got the latest version of Firefox installed.

I wasn't given an option for the upgrade, the computer auto-restarted, and then got messages such as

'Setting things up for you'

'Not long now'

W10 10565 ISO here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso

possible 10565 product keys:

8N67H-M3CY9-QT7C4-2TR7M-TXYCV

or

6P99N-YF42M-TPGBG-9VMJP-YKHCF

or

NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

Interesting blog here, implies you can do a clean install of 10565 on a qualifying machine using your

windows-7/8/8.1 key

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/12/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10565/

Thanks for the links Mike. ;)

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 13:15 ----------

Hi Mike, downloaded the iso but none of the keys worked - but no need of them as it picked up the key from the earlier install on the other drive - interestingly some games carried the data across, others treated as new install and therefore no data! ;)

My insider machine ( on the slow ring ) has just been upgraded to W10 version 1511, build 10586.

Unlike the previous slow ring upgrade ( 10565 ) it doesn't have an expiry date which makes me think M$ are close to releasing a new version.

Some upgrade details on the following link:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/7695/heres-whats-new-in-the-windows-10-fall-update

Just upgraded my W10 preview machine to Build 14366, appears M$ Edge is now approaching a usable state,

and M$ are positively encouraging users to install ad-blocking extensions in the browser.

For users who like to run their browser with Flash Player disabled, its still a pain to access the software switch.

Next month all windows 10 users will get an "Anniversary Update", info on the following link:

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-anniversary-update-features

For anyone still on the W10 Insider Program but their installation failed because you are testing with old hardware (like me), preview release 15025 appears to function properly ( well it does on my old Asus board & 8600 GT graphics card)

You need to sign in with your preview user ID to get access to the ISO ( link below )

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewadvanced