Is free speech a thing of the past in England.

So is a blackboard still called a blackboard

Yes.

On 11/9/2018 at 10:56 AM, truman said:

I think that's what Albert is getting at .. a few years ago there was no such thing as "hate crime"..things are being criminalised that used not to be... remember characters like "Alf Garnett" and "Eddie Booth"?

Characters like those are the reason that "political correctness" has gone mad!

Infact I'd go as far as to say that the airing of such crap was more responsible for stereotyping the (white) English as Bigots and louts, which in general they are not.

I cringe when I hear about those shows because they were nothing but an attempt to belay racial tensions at the time with so-called humour.

27 minutes ago, Crosser said:

Infact I'd go as far as to say that the airing of such crap was more responsible for stereotyping the (white) English as Bigots and louts, which in general they are not.

I cringe when I hear about those shows because they were nothing but an attempt to belay racial tensions at the time with so-called humour.

It started many years before the aforementioned programmes , Take Shakespeare plays for example with its accursed Jew rants ,and Literature from Dickens to Walter Scott with the same issues .

Yet these stage plays are still performed today with no protest from the P.C brigade .

Alf Garnet gutter humour or Sheakespeare for the elite take your pick.

Edited by Albert smith

People are no longer allowed to make up their own minds anymore. I hear language which i find abhorrent, but a person has the right to say something and we have the right to challenge them. Simply shutting down free speech won't change someone's mind; it will most probably reinforce their view!

We should have free speech, but i fear the walls are closing in and we can already see that our words are being policed.

1 hour ago, Crosser said:

I would think the opposite actually.

Characters like Alf Garnett were a joke on the very racists that Garnett was portraying.   It was showing them up for the small minded biggots that they were.   It was designed to lampoon their hate filled bile and wild comparisons against people who were brown or black or yellow with all the panto rediculousness it deserved.

Warren Mitchell the Actor who played him was reported many times of showing his absolute disgust when knuckle draggers failed to see it was clearly satire and instead saw Garnett as some figurehead for their moronic beliefs.    Mitchell himself was a patron of the Humanist Socity and supporter of human rights. 

Sometimes satirical humor needs to be shocking to be its most effective.

Edited by ECCOnoob

19 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

People are no longer allowed to make up their own minds anymore. I hear language which i find abhorrent, but a person has the right to say something and we have the right to challenge them. Simply shutting down free speech won't change someone's mind; it will most probably reinforce their view!

We should have free speech, but i fear the walls are closing in and we can already see that our words are being policed.

If there’s something you are frightened of saying, PM me in strictest confidence and I’ll say it for you. 

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

If there’s something you are frightened of saying, PM me in strictest confidence and I’ll say it for you. 

I can't even voice my observations about Sheffield without them been removed. But you're missing the whole point, In a so called free-society' Nobody should be frightened of expressing any opinion.

6 hours ago, leviathan13 said:

Exactly! The second you limit free speech is the exact same second you lose your own.

1 hour ago, 26b-6 said:

I can't even voice my observations about Sheffield without them been removed. But you're missing the whole point, In a so called free-society' Nobody should be frightened of expressing any opinion.

Exactly! The second you limit free speech is the exact same second you lose your own.

Removed?

You speak words and someone plucks them out of the ether and they're gone.

Fear of expressing an opinion though, that's not a problem with free speech, that's a problem that your fearing the reaction to what you say because you know that it's likely to cause one.  Perhaps then you should consider whether there is a problem with what you want to say, rather than a problem with all the people that react to it...

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Removed?

You speak words and someone plucks them out of the ether and they're gone.

Fear of expressing an opinion though, that's not a problem with free speech, that's a problem that your fearing the reaction to what you say because you know that it's likely to cause one.  Perhaps then you should consider whether there is a problem with what you want to say, rather than a problem with all the people that react to it...

Nothing wrong with positive reaction but some people can over-react. In a small way I have seen many accused of trolling simply because the accuser holds a different opinion.

5 hours ago, spilldig said:

Nothing wrong with positive reaction but some people can over-react. In a small way I have seen many accused of trolling simply because the accuser holds a different opinion.

So you think that you should have freedom of speech, but you wish to constraint the reaction of others to what you say?

12 hours ago, Cyclone said:

So you think that you should have freedom of speech, but you wish to constraint the reaction of others to what you say?

No, I expect them to give thier opinion without insults.