Did Ansell's brewery have any pubs in Sheffield?

Did Ansell’s Brewery have any pubs in Sheffield?

Mixed Bag 3

1. Thanks Sadbrewer, Grapps and Abbeyedges.

2. The Cannon pub in town…and one of its (in)famous Knight-time customer’s. Lol.

3. Arbourthorne Hotel (Whitbread). In the early 70s I saw a band playing here… Wolves …they did an excellent rendition of Uriah Heep’s – Gypsy.

4. Storyette:

The Adephi stood on Tudor Way, formerly Arundel Street, and Sycamore Street. The Adephi 1 2 3 4 closed its doors for the final time in early springtime, in 1969. This was a very sad day for Yorkshire County Cricket Club followers, because YCCC had been formed at the Adelphi in 1863. For Sheffield United football supporters, it was a great day of celebration. There were innumerable parties, city-wide that evening. The Adelphi had vended Stones 2 Ales for many years. Stones bitter had good body and good taste, and was certainly better than today’s rip-off ‘real ales’ the snobs fawn over, and who are foolishly prepared to pay £10 a pint for. The Adelphi was to be demolished to make way for the building of Sheffield’s newest theatre…the breeze-blocked Crucible 1 2 3 4 5 6. Ugh.

The customership in the Adelphi was somewhat varied. People who had spent part of the day shopping at Fargate, Change Alley 1 2 3, Chapel walk and Cambridge Arcade 1 2 etc. Cinema goers, theatre goers, church goers, and the occasional person(s) who wandered in through the doors on a rainy day, due to not being in possession of a collapsible canopy. There were also courting couples who went in after having spent the early part of an evening mutually mankin’ in the dark shadows of nearby Cadman Lane. (rear of town hall through Archway. Others included…Dope-dealers, free-wheelers, pride-stealers, happy-feelers, home-needers wife-beaters…and the occasional book-reader.

Men from the building trade were also a plenty in the Adelphi. Joiners, brick layers, plasterers and general labourers came in search of fellow building site grafters. They were looking for future work, having finished working on now completed sites. These workers also toured other pubs and cafes, hoping to receive a tip as regards to working on a near-future building site. Alternatively, these salt-of-the-earth people would slope off to the labour exchange on West Street.

--

A happening that could be true. Once upon a time…I befound myself in the Adephi. It was during the early session (11.00-15:00) and I was an underage drinker. At the bar, I ordered (requested) a pint of Jungle Juice, paid in the region of 2 bob, then went to sit at a table by one of the windows facing the carp-ark on Tudor way. (Tudor 1 2 3 is the king).

Having made myself comfortable, I reached into my T.W.A. (Try Walking Across) travel bag. I withdrew a well-used book (borrowed from nearby Central Library), entitled Dr. Zhivago written by an author called Boris Plasteknek and began to read. I immediately got ‘into’ the story, which tempted me to go back to the bar to purchase a double Volgogradian Vodka…no ice. I resisted but had my Jungle Juice replenished.

Having re-sat myself at the window I continued to read my book. 18 minutes later the pubs main door opened, then shut with a bang. Into the pub arrived a man. The man was dressed in a smart grey coloured blazer, wore tie and collar, grey trousers, and he was wearing a cap that had a segmented pattern in various colours. The man’s feet were shod in roller skates. The man, who was diminutive, to say the least, then rolled up to the bar.

The frowning bar man at the bar, eyed the newcomer with half-closed suspicious eyes. The newcomer ordered (requested) a pint of best Jungle Juice. The barman poured the drink, but at the same time he was wondering...’how is it possible for a half-pint to drink a full-pint, surely he should be requesting (ordering) a…short. The diminutive newcomer then swigged from his pint glass. He wore a neutral facial expression of seriousness, and of guardedness.

A short time later (seven minutes) the pub door opening once again, to admit another man, this new fellow also ordered (requested) a pint of Jungle Juice at the bar. He was from the building trade. I had immediately noticed his boits had traces of gobbo and gunite on ‘em. A dead giveaway was his black donkey-jacket with large white lettering on the back…B.L. which meant brick layer (not Barry Lawson). The bricklayer wore no hard hat.

The new newcomer then acknowledged the former newcomer (now sat on a bar stool) and a quiet conversation ensued. Having conversed for a while, the diminutive roller skated man kindly bought the bricklayer another pint of Jungle Juice. After conversing a while (14 minutes longer) the bricklayer aggressed the pub. He was perhaps on his way to the Bricklayers Arms (Tetley) on Hereford Street, down near Moor bottom.

A short while (9 minutes) later, the man who was sat on the bar stool suddenly jumped down to the floor then began to skate around the pub. This skating man performed many skating movements with great aplomb…heels, grapevine, front-side air, half-cab air, air to fakie, fakie air, indy grab, toe jumps, toe loops, the salchow, lutz, the axel, the triple axel,…then finally the splits. I and the other 34 customers in the pub were highly amused by this unusual entertainment, and we loudly applauded, but the trunt of a bar man was far from being amused. The grim-faced bar man stepped from behind the bar and approached a big rough looking customer…a knuckler. They both conversed in quiet whispering manner. It seemed quite lucid to me that the breathless little skater was about to be ejected from the pub. It wouldn’t have been good for business to have slung the little bloke out through the front door, for passers-by would be witness to the ejection, then word would spread by wild-fire that the pub was a rough ‘ole. Instead, it was decided to dispose of the skater via the back-door. As the knuckler was one-handedly lifting his hapless victim off the floor, I packed my Dr Zhivago book back into my T.W.A. travel-bag, then withdrew my trusty, but not rusty, Kodak Brownie camera. The skater was then carried out through the back door. The sneering knuckler returned, back into the pub moments later. I went out into the backyard, then took a photograph.

--

After the Adelphi had finally cloised down, the landlord was moved to another pub. The Toll Gate, in Pistmoor.

Pistmoor:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Was the former landlord of the Adelphi John Costello ? who en route to the Tollgate, Pitsmoor, may have kept the Cossack on Howard Street ?

I think he was well known around Petre Street .

---------- Post added 28-05-2018 at 22:09 ----------

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 28-05-2018 at 22:09 ----------

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Could you elaborate on that Albert ?

1. Unfortunately, I still cant find a photo of a Higsons sign outside The Kings Arms on Commercial Street. A photograph of Kings Arms (left) with The Gambit restaurant opposite. If the bleddy photographer would have stood a little into the road (street) we would have seen the Higson's sign. The search continues. This pic dunt help much either, although the big letters above the first floor say. . . Kings Arms.

2. Further to the mention(s) of pubs with revolving doors. I seem to recall The Mail Coach (John Smiths?) on Wellgate, Rotherham (Greater Sheffield), had one, early 70s. The pub was a Rockers, motorbikers type boozery with a table football. I used to go playing snooker at Smith Brothers on the corner of High Street and Wellgate, then afterwards have a cuppla pints in The Mail Coach.

I also seem to remember a large cafeteria (council run?) in a market hall somewhere behind the big church (All Saints). I also remember those see-thru glass coffee cups with matching saucers at the cafeteria lol. The trade name on the base was something like Corroco.

3. Here is another Home Ales pub. . . The Crispin Inn, Ashover, Derbyshire.

1. Unfortunately, I still cant find a photo of a Higsons sign outside The Kings Arms on Commercial Street. A photograph of Kings Arms (left) with The Gambit restaurant opposite. If the bleddy photographer would have stood a little into the road (street) we would have seen the Higson's sign. The search continues. This pic dunt help much either, although the big letters above the first floor say. . . Kings Arms.

2. Further to the mention(s) of pubs with revolving doors. I seem to recall The Mail Coach (John Smiths?) on Wellgate, Rotherham (Greater Sheffield), had one, early 70s. The pub was a Rockers, motorbikers type boozery with a table football. I used to go playing snooker at Smith Brothers on the corner of High Street and Wellgate, then afterwards have a cuppla pints in The Mail Coach.

I also seem to remember a large cafeteria (council run?) in a market hall somewhere behind the big church (All Saints). I also remember those see-thru glass coffee cups with matching saucers at the cafeteria lol. The trade name on the base was something like Corroco.

3. Here is another Home Ales pub. . . The Crispin Inn, Ashover, Derbyshire.

I remember the Mail Coach on Wellgate very well in the early 60s. Used to go in Wednesday lunchtimes when I was going to Rotherham Tech( Greater Sheffield indeed :P) one day a week. Sometimes popped in at night, Pete Lloyd and the Strangers always seemed to be there, playing on that tiny triangular stage in a corner, when I went in there at night on a weekend.. Always a good pint of John Smiths in there.:thumbsup:

The 'Pike and Heron' is the only pub I recall (could be wrong) that 'Mansfield Brewery' had in Sheffield, although their beer was in a lot of W.M.Clubs and yes 'Shipstone's' of Nottingham, they had a few pubs in the Grimsby-Cleethorpes area. 'Higson's' of Liverpool who seemed to have only one pub here, the 'King's Arms' on Commercial Street. Seemed along way to deliver from Merseyside for one Sheffield pub !

Wasn't the Hollin Bush on Ridgeway Road a Mansfield House?

Wasn't the Hollin Bush on Ridgeway Road a Mansfield House?

Where abouts was that.

Where abouts was that.

It wasn't actually Ridgeway Road, but on Hollinsend Road down towards the Noah's Ark at Intake, I only went in once but I'm 99% sure it was a Bass/Stones pub.

The only Mansfield built house I can remember was the new build pub, The Fairway just off Birley Moor Lane....there may have been another but tbh they were building restaurants not pubs at that time.

Did the Park Gardners club (Cricket Inn Road) have a 'Mansfield Ales' sign on its wall or did I imagine that ?

On 28/05/2019 at 02:03, St Petre said:

Did the Park Gardners club (Cricket Inn Road) have a 'Mansfield Ales' sign on its wall or did I imagine that ?

Might well have. Queens Road club did Mansfield as well as Stones.

I recently purchased in Bakewell this Home Ales item,a water jug that can easily be turned into a beer jug. Lol. During the sealing of the £3 deal, I mentioned that I used to drink Home Ale in The White Hart in Eckington in the early 70s. The seller chuckled on hearing this, then went on to say that he used to drink Home Ales when he lived in Peterborough at a pub also called The White Hart. Lol.

He also sold to me this Teachers vessel forra £1.

A cuppla weeks ago I went to a record fair in Leeds. We got a bit lost looking for the social club we'd be selling at. Anyway, we were driving up Wellington Street,and I saw a pub on the right with large letters advertising Tetley. Etched in the glass of a side window was a motif of Melbourne Ales.. a blast from the past. Because we were in a rush we didn't get to see the name of the pub. Was Melbourne beer ever sold in Sheffield? I believe Melbourne beer was bought out by Tetley around 1960 time.

On 10/07/2019 at 22:36, zakes said:

I recently purchased in Bakewell this Home Ales item,a water jug that can easily be turned into a beer jug. Lol. During the sealing of the £3 deal, I mentioned that I used to drink Home Ale in The White Hart in Eckington in the early 70s. The seller chuckled on hearing this, then went on to say that he used to drink Home Ales when he lived in Peterborough at a pub also called The White Hart. Lol.

He also sold to me this Teachers vessel forra £1.

A cuppla weeks ago I went to a record fair in Leeds. We got a bit lost looking for the social club we'd be selling at. Anyway, we were driving up Wellington Street,and I saw a pub on the right with large letters advertising Tetley. Etched in the glass of a side window was a motif of Melbourne Ales.. a blast from the past. Because we were in a rush we didn't get to see the name of the pub. Was Melbourne beer ever sold in Sheffield? I believe Melbourne beer was bought out by Tetley around 1960 time.

You're correct about 1960 for the takeover...I've just been through a list from the Brewery History Society of 250 of their tied pubs, and Barnsley is the closest it gets.

However it is possible that the list is not absolutely  complete,  although my view is that it probably is correct in relation to Sheffield...Melbourne's could easily have got into the City's Free trade though.

Somewhere I have a nice bit of film of Melbourne's from the early 1950's. It was a piece made for the Brewery to show on its brewery tours.