South Yorkshire Caves/Tunnels & Pots

Ive been trying to research local history of South Yorkshires Natural Underground systems, and wondered if anyone had any fresh information.

Upto now I have documented the locations of Cave Systems in the Cadeby area, being Cadeby Cave and Cadeby Pot, and the investigation of other Caves in the south yorkshire area.

Im particularly interested in information around maltby and Roche Abbey, as I was told story's from when I was younger of tunnels that lead from Roche Abbey, to Bramley, Conisbrough and surrounding area, but unfortunately havent had much success in documenting any.

If anyone has any information or an interest please leave me a posting.

Many Thanks

Hi I am also researching this subject, we recently met a guy who showed us the entrance to a tunnel that leads under the lake at roach abbey, my mum has told me stories of an underground lake and limestone cavern there, I believe this is the entrance.

I have also researched conisbrough, cadeby and denaby. Myself and others exposed some things going on at the then derelict earth centre and made an attempt to return the space to the community, in the process we learned alot about what is beneath the 'earth centre' and the land around. Many of the tunnel systems are following ley lines and I would like to make a map of all the local areas and tunnel systems and hear from others that are interested in this sort of thing.

here is a link to our earth centre blog - welovetheearthcentre.blogspot.com

hope to hear back its a longtime ago the original post was made :)

Just an idea but have you contacted the Rotherham Historical society.

I haven't a contact number but I know they used to meet on a Thursday night in the Rotherham Civic Centre.

It might be worthwhile to give the secretary a ring, I'm sure his address will be on the internet.

I hope this helps

PopT

hi the 2 caves in maltby are in a shop car park in the floor of the cave hearn hill cave is some old concrete the was from trying to fill a hole when building the car park I have survey and know the guy and club that did the survey

all best

---------- Post added 06-04-2014 at 07:56 ----------

we did some work on the caves of that small limesone band that runs up to kirbymoorside bog hall cave and the new finds there York uni and Richard willsdon are active there and allen speight ree anston stone caves also look at northen caves vol one all the caves are there and listed all best frank

Lefats there are quite a few cave system in maltby but alot of them have collapsed or been filled in the main entrance for the hellaby to roache abbey was in the basement of hellaby hall but has been sealed now its a hotel there is a entrsnce in the field behind the petrol station but will be very hard to find there are entrances in thurcroft but remembering where the entrys are after 30yrs its abit foggy. As for the cave under the lake at roachie its totally flooded so unless you got proper scuba gear that wont be happening i can give you the location of a lesser known cave in maltby (if you want it) but its tight and you will have to do alot of digging to get past the opening which if i remember you can go in about ten foot before you get to where it was filled in.

---------- Post added 13-11-2018 at 23:16 ----------

On a further note the main caves in maltby known as gateways caves last time i wad there it was gated off and you need a key the smaller entrance is filled in and if you do get access there are methane deposits and there is a huge underground river that if your not carefull its a pretty big drop to the water and a nasty landing on sharp rocks.