Anyone remember the parade in Darnall?

Does anyone remember Darnall Medical Aid bringing their "Jack and the Beanstalk" pantomime to Grenoside in the mid 1970's? It's from that simple start that Grenoside's own panto group began, and which is still going strong 36 years later.

Does anyone remember Darnall Medical Aid bringing their "Jack and the Beanstalk" pantomime to Grenoside in the mid 1970's? It's from that simple start that Grenoside's own panto group began, and which is still going strong 36 years later.

Yes I remember, the stage was so small, we had to change almost the whole of the performance, there we no wings, we had to enter the stage from the back. Excellent fun though

Hi sheltiepup. I wonder if you're remembering a different hall....? The stage in Grenoside is about 8 yards wide, and 4 yards deep, with another 3 yards of width in the wings. And we enter from the sides because the back is the end wall of the building. Did you take your show to other places as well? I'd love to know more about the Grenoside visit. Do you know when it was? Do you remember anything of Margaret Twelves (who started our panto after you'd been)?

Hi sheltiepup. I wonder if you're remembering a different hall....? The stage in Grenoside is about 8 yards wide, and 4 yards deep, with another 3 yards of width in the wings. And we enter from the sides because the back is the end wall of the building. Did you take your show to other places as well? I'd love to know more about the Grenoside visit. Do you know when it was? Do you remember anything of Margaret Twelves (who started our panto after you'd been)?

Possibly was a different hall then, I wasnt very old, it was about 1975. Margaret Twelves was a good friend of my mums.

Little Brenda was the name of Ernest Morley's friend.

i was born on whitby rd on darnall 1965 ernest morley aka darnall LILL was a very close family friend and lived in our yard there was my mum and dad in 1 house my nan and grandad in 2nd ernest in the 3rd house and my gram and grandad in 4th when they pulled the houses down ernest went to live on industry rd when he was getting elderly he moved into a bungelow off pool rd he did work down the pit for many years then went to work in nursing up at western bank hospital he collected thousands of money over the years for cancer research brenda and lill was close friends until the day of the parade when they would try and out do each other with there costumes lol earnest allways won lol he was very well respected in darnall by young and old and to this day very missed by family and friends and well know as THE QUEEN OF DARNALL adam :):)

i was working at woolworth on attercliffe rd, a gang of us who worked there,went in the darnall parade dressed as st trinions in 1962-63, i would like to hear from the girls who took part with me (anne holland)

i was born on whitby rd on darnall 1965 ernest morley aka darnall LILL was a very close family friend and lived in our yard there was my mum and dad in 1 house my nan and grandad in 2nd ernest in the 3rd house and my gram and grandad in 4th when they pulled the houses down ernest went to live on industry rd when he was getting elderly he moved into a bungelow off pool rd he did work down the pit for many years then went to work in nursing up at western bank hospital he collected thousands of money over the years for cancer research brenda and lill was close friends until the day of the parade when they would try and out do each other with there costumes lol earnest allways won lol he was very well respected in darnall by young and old and to this day very missed by family and friends and well know as THE QUEEN OF DARNALL adam :):)

I remember Ernest from lock-ins in the Duke of York in the eighties. He was well liked by everyone.

I remember them, Brenda and Lill. Had me in stitches.

On 30/04/2008 at 19:13, Wainy said:

I watched the parade in the 1940's and Asa Smith was the colorful character we looked for back then. Does anyone else remember him?

Margaret

Hi his name was Aziah Smith my great grandfather..! 

I was a good friend of Ernest Morley. He wasn't allowed in the armed forces because he was gay, so instead he had to work in the mines, (which in his words were some of the best times of his life). As far as I know he worked in an old folks home, but raised a lot of money for cancer research, as well as for his patients. He collected raffle prizes from all the Darnall businesses, my mother in law's pub being one of them!!

His lady name was Lily, and his best friend/enemy was Brenda aka Arthur Green, who regularly borrowed my mink pom pom stilettos. Latterly, his life partner was Peter, who was a barman at the Duke of York. Peter was attacked outside the Friendship pub  and sadly later died. Ernest bred poodles, and  always said the dogs were good to him. He also had a grey parrot called Sunny, who could really turn out the language.

He was a good kind man, and always remembered.

Edited by Neecie
Repeated words

On 15/05/2023 at 09:59, Lstein said:

Hi his name was Aziah Smith my great grandfather..! 

Hello ,hope you see this , I'm a great grandchild of the smith family , my grandad was Sylvester and I used to have a drink with Nipton , don't know much about that side of family .