Anyone from the village of woodhouse

Hi there everyone, I was raised in Woodhouse from 1952 only leaving when I got married in 1976. My Dad & Brother were well known around the village. My Dad was Eric Morley and my brother was Terry, both were Miners @ Brookhouse Colliery in Beighton. We lived above the Electrical shop on Market Street owned by Mr Curr, this was next door to Winnie Camden (Ladies Outfitters) and at the other end next to the Chemists I think called Williamsons? This was next to The George with a Landlord of Percy Bower and their Son Keith was a big School pal of mine. Across the road was Crosslands Newsagent, then a couple of shops and then the Sweet Shop owned by Mr & Mrs Mason. My Mum Caroline (Cal) worked for many years in the 60''s and 70's as a barmaid in the Stag in the square working for Jim & Audrey Woodhouse and latterly in the Royal working for the Kennedys. I hope people will remember them.

Please let me know.

Barrie Morley

Dear Barrie

Although born in Swallownest July 1940 and later going to Woodhouse Grammar School 1951/1958 I know a lot of Woodhouse people.

Re your living above the old G.L.Curr and Son shop in Market Place, that would be after my Uncle George Curr retired. In its heyday aas watchmakers, jewellers, cycles, radio and tv my dad Victor Bartholomew Hutchinson ran the radio/tv/electrical side. He was adopted by George Curr and his wife around 1930 after his grandparents moved away from Woodhouse. They lived on Sheffield Road

My Dad then started his own business in 1960 and eventually retired as owner of Crest Service Station at the top of Handsworth plus 3 other car sales sites. My parents moved to Bempton Near Bridlington in 1979

All the other things you mention bring back vivid memories, but you didnt mention Keetons Taxis and Undertakers being in the yard at the back of the shops

Winnie Camden was married to Bill Fathers who was manager at Cocker Brothers Springs in Attercliffe. Chemist at that time was Bill White and he used to play high stakes cards with George Curr until he was too full of whiskey to see the numbers

Looking at your age you will probably remember my cousins - Christine and Michael Brooks who lived down Balmoral Road untill about 1950/1951 when they moved to Ballifield Estate - both still alive and well of course. In the same yard lived Trevor Finlay whos father became the Bookmakers on Station Road

Their father being Kenneth Brooks, married to my mothers younger sister Hilda Marshall from Swallownest

I remember my Dads good friend Charlie Denton who was the cinema projectionist - his son Charlie lives in Thorpe Salvin

Do you remember the Whinfreys - there was the older sister who died in a road accident, Fred who is my age and the younger son Raynor who I think lives in the houses at the sire of the Iron Bridge on Retford Road

I could go on for a long time Barrie and if you want to echange more pleaze let me have your e mail address.

I moved from Swallownest to Driffield in 1967 and although we have our house there I live most of the year in Malaysia where I moved my business's to in late 2006. My wife spends her year split between Driffield, Kuala Lumpur and Vancouver where our eldest daughter lives

Made my morning (8 hours ahead of you) when I read your message

Very Best Wishes - From Subang Jaya, State of Selangor, Malaysia - (bit cool this morning, only 85 degrees at 8-00am) - Victor Marshall Hutchinson

Good Day to you Victor,

I've only just stumbled across this site and thought I'd throw out some memories to see if anyone would respond so its good to hear from you!

I was born in 1952 so am a few years younger than you, but I do reciollect many of the topics you mentioned.

I only just remember old Mr Curr. My memories are really of Derek Curr, his wife (Edith??) and their son Roger. I think that when the Curr shop was sold to Roche & French, Derek and family moved onto the Mauncer but I lost touch woth them once they'd moved. However I do remember Mrs Curr the younger took me a few times to her Mother in Laws house (Old Mrs Currs) which I think was on the main road in Swallownest (on the right?) Wow my memory is rushing back! I havent thought of this era in years!

Our address was technically Back of No 5, Market Street. To gain access to our house you would turn into the lane by Winnie Camdens shop and house down towards Cairns Cottages. Youre quite right about the yard down there. It contained about 5 or 6 garages, 2 of which belonged to Joe Keeton. In my early years (late 50's) Joe had 2 vintage black Rolls Royces. I remember him telling me that one was a 1928 and the other 1928. I also remember that in 1960 I was taken very ill and nearly died in hospital. Obviously I pulled through but as a treat when I was scheduled to come home, Joe kindly offered to pick me up in one of the Rolls Royces. I felt very special on that ride home.

My memories of the village are very fond. Its a shame that it seems to have lost that small intimate village atmosphere now. I drove through about a year ago and its just not the same. I guess that happens all over the world! Its called progress apparently! I'm not so sure?

Thanks for your response. My direct e mail is bazbeamer@ntlworld.com Please contact when you have a moment to spare, It might rekindle some more of my memory!

P.S. I see that there is someone on the forum with the handle of chrisn. I'm presuming thats Chris Newbold who lived on Sheffield Road, near the Angel Pub. I went to school at Central Tech with a Chris Newbold. I wonder if its you?

Bazbeamer I moved into cairns cottages in 1973, my mum and dad still live there, I was born on Victoria road and moved and moved with my family and grandma when they were knocked down into another of Mr Hardcastles houses

Hi Mary.

You'll maybe remember our house! it was the first one on the left when approaching Cairns Cottages down the Gennell! If you moved in in 1973, I still lived there. I left in 1976 when I got married. Two of my friends lived in Cairns cottages they being Barbara & Pauline Moore. They were sisters who lived there with their parents. However, I think that Barabara may have been married by then to "Royce Keeton" (a butcher I think) and Pauline would have been at University in 73!

I think that Mum & Dad left the house about 1981 ish. Obviously both dead now!

I have great memories of my childhood in Woodhouse in the late 50's and 60's.

Did you go to Woodhouse East School? I started there in Miss Jenkins class in 1957! and who could forget Miss Miller? The Headmaster when I was there was Mr Pritchard.

I hope I've jogged some memories for you?

Have a Happy New Year and as prosperous 2017.

Regards

Barrie Morley

Still messing around with Woodhouse , told today that the library is going to be demolished .

yes they are building a new community centre and library on the old tannery lodge site

Hi anyone remember the drapers shop, the beer off shop, mannings greengrocers and the newsagents on chaple st ?

my mum worked at mannings for 26 years, I worked at Andersons and Shepard's when I left school

We are the croft family that had the offy next door to shepherds.

We are the croft family that had the offy next door to shepherds.

Remember John Shepherd well. We were in the 173rd Scout Group at the same time. 1950's, 60's and 70's.

O my days yes..i do.

Im still intouch with Ann his eldest daughter.

I was in te brownies.Mrs Shepherd was our brown owl.