HD / DVD recorders

But going back to Grahamfff's original problem - the failed hard drive is probably a standard IDE or SATA one, so should be easily replaceable.

The Humax boxes were quite good, there's firmware available to allow you to copy the recordings around and off the HDD. I don't think it's much hassle replacing their hard drives either.

Nope, straight swap. I replaced my 80Gb SATA one with a 500Gb.

Maybe for Humax, but for Sony, you need to be able to access the service menu, which requires a 'special' remote... (or if your phone has Infra Red, you could maybe download a remote app?)

Panasonic also requires accessing a service menu, however this is doable from the standard remote...

For entertainment purposes, even though we still have a Philips Blu-Ray, we tend to use the PS4 - I think that is one reason why the market has shifted.

I know Panasonic make a HDD / Blu-Ray recorder, but it is very expensive.

So change of tack.... can something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Blu-Ray-Player-Recorder-Freeview-black/dp/B015341RTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540671983&sr=8-1&keywords=Panasonic+DMR-PWT550EB

... record from my Virgin Media box, or only from its inbuilt Freeview tuner?

I know Panasonic make a HDD / Blu-Ray recorder, but it is very expensive.

So change of tack.... can something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Blu-Ray-Player-Recorder-Freeview-black/dp/B015341RTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540671983&sr=8-1&keywords=Panasonic+DMR-PWT550EB

... record from my Virgin Media box, or only from its inbuilt Freeview tuner?

I believe they are only from their built in tuner...