Dentists and experiences in the past

The first dentists was in Albert Terrace rd opposite the boiler at the Infirmary forgot what they called him. Flint was at the corner of Oxford St and Upperthorpe rd. The worst one I went to was in the old police station at the bottom of Burgoyne rd / Langsett rd. The dentist was called Ball I went for fillings and the injection did not work. He brought me down to my mother and he said@ can't do anything you will have to wait for them all to rot. what an <removed>. that tainted me for life and I was in my early teens.

Edited by nikki-red

Similar experience myself, at age 15 i walked from the Basegreen estate to the dentist on Ridgeway Rd near the Manor Top, alone because mum was ill at the time. I was'nt aware of any big problems, thought I might need a couple of fillings perhaps. Came out minus five teeth, think he must have been on commission, then had to walk the three miles back with blood pouring. Can't imagine it would be allowed these days. I've been conscious of the gaps all my life.

Similar experience myself, at age 15 i walked from the Basegreen estate to the dentist on Ridgeway Rd near the Manor Top, alone because mum was ill at the time. I was'nt aware of any big problems, thought I might need a couple of fillings perhaps. Came out minus five teeth, think he must have been on commission, then had to walk the three miles back with blood pouring. Can't imagine it would be allowed these days. I've been conscious of the gaps all my life.

At the infamous LowFields dental clinic for trainees, they yanked 4 of my adult teeth. Never heard of fillings. I had problems ever since!

Fast forward to Canada 50 years later a real dentist showed me ex-rays that 3 of them had just been broken off below the surface, not actually pulled out, and he asked if this was done at home? Lol!

He fixed me up with a healthy mouth and a decent smile and chew, and I never looked back!

Can't blame the students, though, it was all free, and as I've learned you generally get what you pay for!

Now I spend the winters in the Dominican Republic, and it's the same old thing down there, lots of pain, and I actually had to jump out the chair when I had gone in for a missing crown, and she started to pull out 2 of my good teeth on the other side of my mouth!

Edited by trastrick

The first dentists was in Albert Terrace rd opposite the boiler at the Infirmary forgot what they called him. Flint was at the corner of Oxford St and Upperthorpe rd. The worst one I went to was in the old police station at the bottom of Burgoyne rd / Langsett rd. The dentist was called Ball I went for fillings and the injection did not work. He brought me down to my mother and he said@ can't do anything you will have to wait for them all to rot. what an <removed>. that tainted me for life and I was in my early teens.

Flint was nick named the butcher, he was at the bottom of Victor Street/ Infirmary Road. He had a real bad reputation.

Edited by nikki-red

The grey caravan on the drive of Oughtibridge school was my first encounter.

And then he came...

An animal of a human that used to drill our teeth with no local numb. I still remember screaming my head off before and during the visit. Both of us have had a deep fear of dentists ever since. Although todays dentists are a new breed and if I'm honest, very little in the way of pain. I still have to find a bit of get up and go when I get the text.

I'll have to have a word with my mum and find out the animals dentists name at Stocksbridge and report back.

The grey caravan on the drive of Oughtibridge school was my first encounter.

And then he came...

An animal of a human that used to drill our teeth with no local numb. I still remember screaming my head off before and during the visit. Both of us have had a deep fear of dentists ever since. Although todays dentists are a new breed and if I'm honest, very little in the way of pain. I still have to find a bit of get up and go when I get the text.

I'll have to have a word with my mum and find out the animals dentists name at Stocksbridge and report back.

The grey van in the playground at Stannington was the first dental encounter I remember.

His name was Mr Kershaw and his assistant was his wife.

I had an extraction with gas and then had to walk home with my Mum - vomiting all the way home :gag:

Can you imagine that being allowed now ?

The grey van in the playground at Stannington was the first dental encounter I remember.

His name was Mr Kershaw and his assistant was his wife.

I had an extraction with gas and then had to walk home with my Mum - vomiting all the way home :gag:

Can you imagine that being allowed now ?

I think I had a tooth pulled in the grey caravan too. The black face mask, the smell...then you wake up feeling pretty rough.

I was talking to my dentist about the drilling with no numbing and she said it was common practice! As far as I'm concerned, it was only common practice as a torture aid in a film I once watched. As you say, can you imagine what would happen if they did that these days. I think a lot of dentists would be doing time!

I'm an Attercliffe baby-boomer and part of a generation of kids who had a mouthful of fillings courtesy of Darnall's "Butcher Bentall".

If you've seen the Dustin Hoffman character having his tooth drilled to the nerve in "Marathon Man", then that was a passable representation of Mr Bentall's surgery.

I'm an Attercliffe baby-boomer and part of a generation of kids who had a mouthful of fillings courtesy of Darnall's "Butcher Bentall".

If you've seen the Dustin Hoffman character having his tooth drilled to the nerve in "Marathon Man", then that was a passable representation of Mr Bentall's surgery.

Hi steved32, Yes I fully agree to your remarks about Butcher Bentall! He had his surgery adjacent to Beighton Street on Darnall at the bottom of Handsworth Hill. He was impatient, rude and nasty especially with the kids and scarred them for life. He didn't pull teeth, he dragged them in a sideways motion which damaged the gum considerably. He usually had 2 patients on the go at any one time, one upstairs one down. Remember the buzzer that he continually pressed to alert his receptionist cum-assistant? Sorry to admit this, but I dreaded and hated this guy and still do! Thankfully his like are now obsolete and a visit to the dentist is the opposite of what we encountered.

Hi steved32, Yes I fully agree to your remarks about Butcher Bentall! He had his surgery adjacent to Beighton Street on Darnall at the bottom of Handsworth Hill. He was impatient, rude and nasty especially with the kids and scarred them for life. He didn't pull teeth, he dragged them in a sideways motion which damaged the gum considerably. He usually had 2 patients on the go at any one time, one upstairs one down. Remember the buzzer that he continually pressed to alert his receptionist cum-assistant? Sorry to admit this, but I dreaded and hated this guy and still do! Thankfully his like are now obsolete and a visit to the dentist is the opposite of what we encountered.

Thanks for this SC. You've jogged my ageing memory! Yes, I do remember that buzzer. Butcher Bentall's Buzzer of Brutality.