Cycle Lane past station

All of which is correct and sensible, apart from one detail. There is no law preventing pedestrians from being in a cycle lane. They have a perfect right to be there. Whether it is sensible, or reasonable for them to be there, is another matter.

That depends, cycle tracks may or may not have a right of way for pedestrians, it would depend upon the TRO. (HA 329)

Edited by barleycorn

What about the cyclists that fly past the doors at the back of the train station! It really shocks me sometimes, I've nearly been knocked flying as I've emerged out those doors near the tram stop! I mean surely it just takes a bit of common sense that there might actually be people coming out of there and that those on bikes should try and slow down or dismount for a couple of seconds! Really!:roll:

But surely a pedestrian emerging through the doors should also check to see if there any cyclists coming in much the same manner that a car driver should check to see if anything is coming when pulling out of a junction.

But surely a pedestrian emerging through the doors should also check to see if there any cyclists coming in much the same manner that a car driver should check to see if anything is coming when pulling out of a junction.

Trying to negotiate yourself, your family and your baggage through the doors, past other users and the smoking rail staff is hard enough without the unexpected presence on the footway of cyclists.

There is no visibility of the footway until you are on the footway. So even if you were pre-warned you would have to stop and look.

When walking out of the doors of any other building in Sheffield onto a fenced off 5' wide footpath you not expect cyclists at speed.

Then you need to ride with more care, remembering that it is you that is the danger, not the pedestrian. The pedestrian is simply a more vulnerable road user. Please treat them as such.

As you clearly need it, let me pass on a tip, based upon my 30 years of accident free driving and cycling. If you cannot stop within your field of vision, you are going too fast.

Clearly my cycling is fine, I haven't yet run into one of these idiot pedestrians who walk in the cycle lane.

That doesn't justify their behaviour though does it, which is what you're attempting to do.

Funny that you call them a 'road user' when I'm talking about an off road cycle lane though.

As you clearly need it, here's a tip. Don't jump to conclusions, it'll make you look (more) foolish.

Pedestrians aren't supposed to use cycle lanes, and obviously I do pass them safely, but they're still a danger, because they're not supposed to be there at all. :roll:

Care to link us to the specific law in which pedestrians are not allowed in a cycle lane?

No?

The argument meant of 'pedestrians shouldn't be in cycle lanes, they're for cyclists' is the same as 'cyclists shouldn't be on the road, they're for cars'

And what do you say to that latter argument?

Hypocrisy thy name is Cyclone....

Care to link us to the specific law in which pedestrians are not allowed in a cycle lane?

No?

The argument meant of 'pedestrians shouldn't be in cycle lanes, they're for cyclists' is the same as 'cyclists shouldn't be on the road, they're for cars'

I think you're mistaking Cyclone's "shouldn't" for "mustn't"

To my knowledge he hasn't claimed or implied that pedestrians cannot or must not use cycle paths, merely that they should not.

Pedestrians always have the right of way, phones or not.

Good luck with that.

Just been waiting at a crossing by the University. 3 of us hear the ambulance coming. We decide despite having a green man, that stepping out in front of an ambulance on a call might not be the cleverest thing to do

Unfortunately, the 4th guy was fully wired into his earbuds looks up from the phone, see's the green and steps straight out in front of it. Emergency stop from the driver and I just hope anyone in the back was well strapped down.

And before you say "Chinese students" this was a white bloke in his 40s

No?

Care to not answer your strawman, you're right, I won't.

I didn't claim they "aren't allowed".

It's not though is it. Roads are for vehicles, including cycles. Cycle lanes are for CYCLES, the clue is in the name.

Perhaps you call roads 'car lanes'? I imagine that gets some funny looks though.

Nope, no hypocrisy is there. Made yourself look quite silly though didn't you.

---------- Post added 28-06-2018 at 07:57 ----------

For what it's worth though, someone persistently walking along the length of the road (one which has traffic, not an abandoned country lane) would shortly be having a chat with a policeman wouldn't they.

Yeah the clue is in the name much the same as it is in PEDESTRIAN area ie the Moor or Fargate and FOOTpath but we're still expected to look both ways when leaving a building in case of speeding cyclists. Us mere pedestrians have lost 3 bus stops behind Debenhams to accommodate a RARELY used cycle path.

I cycle along the cycle lane across from the train station almost every day. The problem is that its not obviously clear that its a cycle lane, despite the block paving being a pinkish colour. Its also not entirely clear whether the pink part of the pavement is the cycle lane or the foot path. I know there are signs on posts along the route, but pedestrians are usually too busy talking or looking at the floor to notice the signs.

I just ride with a bit more care as I weave through the pedestrians who are walking in both the cycle lane and the foot path. its not difficult.

Yeah the clue is in the name much the same as it is in PEDESTRIAN area ie the Moor or Fargate and FOOTpath but we're still expected to look both ways when leaving a building in case of speeding cyclists. Us mere pedestrians have lost 3 bus stops behind Debenhams to accommodate a RARELY used cycle path.

I'm not sure if you have a point, but whatever it is I didn't follow it.

I haven't made an argument for cycles on busy footpaths at speed, nor for more cycle lanes. :huh:

There's a simple solution. It's less than 100yrds.

Dismount and walk when it's busy