T.T Racing,is it too dangerous?

Every year now riders are killed. Whilst there needs to be an element of danger, they need more safety. It is not acceptable nowadays that the TT can just let it happen, year on year with no safety improvements. Like F1, people and myself watch it and they like the danger,its part of the thrill, but the TT is getting ridiculous now !

Every year now riders are killed. Whilst there needs to be an element of danger, they need more safety. It is not acceptable nowadays that the TT can just let it happen, year on year with no safety improvements. Like F1, people and myself watch it and they like the danger,its part of the thrill, but the TT is getting ridiculous now !

sorry you are totally wrong, TT riders have been killed almost ever year since the start and it is safer than ever! the riders go and know the dangers, i have been involved in the TT sponsoring riders for years and its not the speed that kills its the nature of the circuit its public roads that cannot be changed and nobody wants it to change.....well only the ones that have never been.

sorry you are totally wrong, TT riders have been killed almost ever year since the start and it is safer than ever! the riders go and know the dangers, i have been involved in the TT sponsoring riders for years and its not the speed that kills its the nature of the circuit its public roads that cannot be changed and nobody wants it to change.....well only the ones that have never been.
Ive only been watching it for 3-4 years so you obviously know more than me. I know the riders accept the dangers etc.It just seems to me that the TT is an exception to motorsport safety. I know of no other form of motorsport on either 2 or 4 wheels that has so little safety precautions. Dont get me wrong, I really admire the riders bravery and iam sure that this is the appeal of the TT. The danger, its a big reason i watch it but i just think it could be alot safer in this day in age without losing the speed or make up of the course. What additional safety measures have been put in place since you started to watch ?

Ive only been watching it for 3-4 years so you obviously know more than me. I know the riders accept the dangers etc.It just seems to me that the TT is an exception to motorsport safety. I know of no other form of motorsport on either 2 or 4 wheels that has so little safety precautions. Dont get me wrong, I really admire the riders bravery and iam sure that this is the appeal of the TT. The danger, its a big reason i watch it but i just think it could be alot safer in this day in age without losing the speed or make up of the course. What additional safety measures have been put in place since you started to watch ?

you really need to go to understand, the circuit is 37 3/4 miles of public roads as you know with walls , telegraph poles, kerbs etc you cannot make that safe ever, the rider briefings have got more stringent and the dangers pointed out but the hazards cannot be removed, you can die in a 50mph crash as much as 150mph, Rob Holdens crash was a lower speed crash back in the 90,s and he died from hitting kerb, kerbs cannot be safe. there are some areas that have air fencing and straw bales but really its cosmetic it cannot be made safer it is unique and no matter what the riders love it win or die. its also under the IOM government which are self governing so they make their own laws. i have lost over 5 friends at the TT racing and every one of them would go back given the chance. its a special place.

you really need to go to understand, the circuit is 37 3/4 miles of public roads as you know with walls , telegraph poles, kerbs etc you cannot make that safe ever, the rider briefings have got more stringent and the dangers pointed out but the hazards cannot be removed, you can die in a 50mph crash as much as 150mph, Rob Holdens crash was a lower speed crash back in the 90,s and he died from hitting kerb, kerbs cannot be safe. there are some areas that have air fencing and straw bales but really its cosmetic it cannot be made safer it is unique and no matter what the riders love it win or die. its also under the IOM government which are self governing so they make their own laws. i have lost over 5 friends at the TT racing and every one of them would go back given the chance. its a special place.
I am thinking of going next year to be fair, i thought that maybe poles could have air cushions and hay bales could be replaced with tecpro barriers which offer way more give and cushioning. As for the kerbs, iam not sure. And iam not sure my suggestions would make too much difference either. I think that if this was in the uk or elsewhere in Europe, the races would have been stopped years ago, but as you point out, the Isle of Man have their own laws and they most probably rely on the tourism that the TT brings. Thats mad that you lost over 5 friends to the TT, yet you still love it, as does everybody else. Must be a very special place, hopefully il find out myself next year.

I have family on the Isle of Man and visit at least twice a year. I have friends here who keep asking me to help find a place to stay but hotels and even private rooms are full.

As regards safety they do put a lot in place but if you drive the road (I have a car not a bike) you'll find a lot of deceptive corners, etc, places where you have to know the route and if you're a wuss like me drive a bit slower. The guys on the bikes are racing and take calculated risks pushing the envelope. Sometimes the envelope tears or they just have a bit of bad luck. They know the risks they're taking.

I am thinking of going next year to be fair, i thought that maybe poles could have air cushions and hay bales could be replaced with tecpro barriers which offer way more give and cushioning. As for the kerbs, iam not sure. And iam not sure my suggestions would make too much difference either. I think that if this was in the uk or elsewhere in Europe, the races would have been stopped years ago, but as you point out, the Isle of Man have their own laws and they most probably rely on the tourism that the TT brings. Thats mad that you lost over 5 friends to the TT, yet you still love it, as does everybody else. Must be a very special place, hopefully il find out myself next year.

do go its an experience you will never forget! the speed on the TV doesn't do it justice. No barriers will work as there is little or no run off, in some places you can literally touch the rider as they go past if you were allowed to stand there.

if you go PM me and can give you some places to watch that will scare the xxxx out of you! Barregarrow for a start google it

Edited by nowt2pctoday

Some places to eat - a couple of Indians the food looks like it was microwaved from Asda but the Taj Mahal on Esplanade Mews near the Empress Hotel is good.

Excellent but pricey seafood Tanroagan. My wife and I's treat is the lobster. Lunches are good value

Whitestone Inn at Ballasalla.

Harbour Lights in Douglas and Peel. Their French Onion soup is brilliant on a cold day.

Terrace Chippy on Prospect Terrace is good value and tasty. As is the Port Jack chippy at Onchan which has a great sea view.

The Sound way down at Craigneish used to be great then fell way down under new owners. I hear they may have changed hands again and improved.

If you need something to soak up beer the Marmaris is open until 2am or later if there's demand. Good donars and sauce, better than you might expect.

If you're camping at Nobles by the start, walk along Victoria road and down Summerhill Glen to the Terminus Tavern. Nice to sit outside

Get well soon to Ian Hutchinson who broke his leg in the senior tt today.Well done to Michael Dunlop who won his 15th tt today.:clap:

Watching Day 2 of this year's race. Absolutely bonkers madness...but brilliant. They know the risks and it is 1000 times more exciting than watching cars trundling slowly around Monaco.

The Isle of man is a mythical and magical place, and you only have to visit once and something grabs  you.  I went at 14 to visit my brother doing a summer season there, and was hooked for life.  Then later when I got into the biking fraternity via work for a client, I got the biking bug -a fatal combination of addictions, IOM and biking.  Passed my test 1st time at 39. Until I came off at Spa and nearly broke my neck, and can't ride anymore, but still go to IOM TT to soak up the atmosphere as often as I can, but no one to go with these days.  None of my current friends are into biking.

Edited by Jeddo

13 hours ago, Jeddo said:

The Isle of man is a mythical and magical place, and you only have to visit once and something grabs  you.  I went at 14 to visit my brother doing a summer season there, and was hooked for life.  Then later when I got into the biking fraternity via work for a client, I got the biking bug -a fatal combination of addictions, IOM and biking.  Passed my test 1st time at 39. Until I came off at Spa and nearly broke my neck, and can't ride anymore, but still go to IOM TT to soak up the atmosphere as often as I can, but no one to go with these days.  None of my current friends are into biking.

If your current set of friends isn't into your 'thing'; dump em and get new friends that enjoy the same things as you do!

Alternatively, keep your current ones and do stuff you all enjoy with those; and get new ones to do other stuff that you enjoy, which your current friends don't.