U.F.O.s on Hallam FM

In about 1991-2ish I was dating a girl at Sheffield University. I would travel to see her most evenings and travel back home very late at night.

While I was making these late-night journeys I often had the car radio tuned to Hallam FM, who ran a phone-in show called 'Night Owls'. There were two presenters, both called Roger. One did the weeknight show, the other weekends.

As you can imagine, this show had it's fair share of 'nutters' ringing in, who were normally given very short change by the host. But one night it was announced that to get all the U.F.O bull**** out of the way once and for all, they would dedicate the following nights show to this subject alone.

Having called the show on a couple of occasions (normally to geta late night dedication on air for Louise) I knew that callers were never put straight to air. Instead the talked to a producer first, told this producer what they wanted to say on air, then were called back by the same producer about an hour or so later who would then put them through to the DJ. The point of this is that nobody could change their story on hearing what the previous caller had said.

As the U.F.O special went on air, the usual crank calls came in. "A flying saucer landed in my garden and Elvis came out of it" kind of thing! But one caller said something totally different. they said that they had been walking a dog one night and seen a strangely shaped ufo which they described in detail.

Just a couple of calls later someone else described exactly the same thing. Remember: They had given this description privately to the producer before hearing the previous caller!

By the end of the show, many people had described very similar objects. Not the common flying saucer you would talk about naturally if you were making it up.

Does anyone out there remember this show? Did anyone contribute? Does anyone have a copy on tape?

Have you seen anything strange in Sheffield since? If you have, please do not describe it here. Instead send as detailed a description as you can to my PM inbox. If you all come up with the same thing tyhis will prove once and for all that there really is something strange in the skies. I'll reoprt my findings to you all in due course.

Andy.