Sign in to follow this  

Thunder Bolts

Hi all. when I was a kid my mum and dad used to tell me that these bolts could come in down your chimly... sorry about the spelling... and if you had a door open it would go out of it without destroying the house. anyone else rememer tales like that. :thumbsup:

When I was at primary school during a thunderstorm, one of the teachers told me the thunderclap was caused by the storm clouds banging together! Like that comforted us :loopy:

And another teacher said peoples heads were made of wood, based on the sound it makes when you tap it with your knucles.

Originally posted by Trekker

Hi all. when I was a kid my mum and dad used to tell me that these bolts could come in down your chimly... sorry about the spelling... and if you had a door open it would go out of it without destroying the house. anyone else rememer tales like that. :thumbsup:

It sounds like what you are describing is 'ball lightning'. Google for it - there are loads of links eg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

It's weird!

Nomme

Originally posted by Abdul

the thunderclap was caused by the storm clouds banging together!

I was always told that one as well.

Dear All,

My parents used to dash to unplug the TV arial during thunderstorms. Maybe some sense in that. Last week (?) on John Peel's Sat. morning programme someone said they had always been told it was vital that all mirrors in the house were quickly covered over...

I used to hide under the stairs.

Striver

At the first peal of thunder my job was to go down the road to fetch Mrs. Graham, an old lady who's husband was killed fighting in the first war. Mom would take all the plugs out and cover the mirrors up. Dad would sit in the chair near the open door watching the storm and he would never close the door until it was over. Mrs.Graham and my Mom would sit on the top of the cellar stairs. I remember them telling me about a "great storm" that lasted 2 days not sure when that was.

hmm.. thunderbolts... and lightning

It's very very frightening.

Apparently, surfing the net in a thunderstorm can b***er up your comp.

When I was a teenager (seems like many moons now) their was a huge storm hit sheffield. it was about 16 years or so ago, my parents lived at wisewood then. I remember it was the worst storm I have ever witnessed (in fact it sent me screaming all the way to my sisters house at hillsbourgh) it welded all the phonelines together and a thunderbolt thingy actually got in a house up the road it ended up welded into the front door glass in a big melty circle, And it blew a big line down the tiles on the roof.It was really freaky cos it took b.t forever to sort out the phones and when one rung the whole street rung it was just like a great big party line