Alms houses on Hangingwater Rd Fulwood

Both of my dad and mums parents lived opposite each other in the alms houses in hanging water rd fulwood.I remember there was a chapel,and a bowling green behind the small cottages on this site.A stream ran at the back also,we use to play in this with old saucepans,catching the water!The gardens where beautiful,does anyone else remember these houses?I believe they are not there any more,and the land has been built on,is this right?It would have been about 1956 onwards.

The alms houses are still there. What made you think they had gone? used to live just down the road near the traffic lights

The original alms houses that you remember were knocked down in the early seventies and then rebuilt which are still there now.

I actually saw the church steeple being knocked down by a wrecking ball which was quite memorable.

The original stone cottages were a lot nicer than the present day archtecture but I guess less practical.

thanks for the news about the alms houses,I was told some time ago that they had gone,but it is good news that they have been rebuilt.I dont live in sheffield now,but will go to have a look when I next visit.thanks for the reply!Kath