Looking for info about boxer Gus Platts

Thanks, okismoki - I knew he owned the Blue Boar, but I'd never heard of the Mooney Gang, so I'll try and find out more (searching family history can become addictive!. Best wishes, Paula

never heard of the mooney gang???? they are famous in sheffield history,from the stories i,ve been told,gus was one of the few people who wouldn,t let them intimidate him,ah,just seen your location is sydney,thats why you aint heard of em.

Paula, this is brilliant news re Tony Stephens. If you get confirmation, do send me details (by PM if you wish).

Redfyre, I've had an email from Tony, and it's obviously the same person - he was on the Sheffield Tele from 64 to 66. Do you want to email me your details on [email protected] and I can pass them on to him if you like. Paula

i used to live next door to his son or grandson jerry platt he always talked about gus platt

Hi, I have just seen this, gus was my great great great grandad just wish I had the chance to meet him.

Gus Platts aka The Sheffield Blade

Won 13 (4 by KO)

Lost 20

Drawn 4

Rounds boxed 534.

Full stats at : http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=51678&cat=boxer

What is amazing is that back then when he lost to Johnny Basham at the Royal Albert Hall it was twenty, three minute rounds and he went the distance losing on points.

Edited by darylslinn

Hi, I have just seen this, gus was my great great great grandad just wish I had the chance to meet him.

Well one day you will, just not in this world...

Something to be proud on Lauren

Gus Platts was a wrestler as a boy, learning his stuff at the Sheffield Physical Culture and Wrestling School on Stanley Street, off Wicker.

Does anybody know what building this was in? Was it the Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel?

I have just had a conversation with an old lad in Wombwell ,he is eighty five and fought around Sheffield and Barnsley in the fifty's and sixty's his name is Les Platts he is a relation of Gus .The old guy is as fit as a fiddle and still practices the moves that he used in the ring all those years ago.