Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

My tester says that it is a visual inspection only and anything less than 3mm he will stick it on as an advisory unless there are obvious chunks of pad material flaked off in which case he will fail even if the brake test is passed.

I am a class 4 MOT tester mate.

My 54 plate captur makes crunching noises when going over speed bumps does anyone know what it could be please 

Edited by damo_bar

My car makes a crunching noise every time I go over a speed but it’s getting louder is this a easy fix 

Does it come from the front or back 

First thing I’d do is jack up the car and check the suspension springs ,see if they have broken , ,then check the anti roll bar link bars and then check ball joints see if any excess movement in those 

I bought a car from a private seller for my father in law all good with car just the wheel secure nut is missing when I spoke to the guy I bought it off said should be in car but can’t find it.

all I want is someone to direction me to the right place to remove them and replace them please

its a ford Mondeo 2009 

would be much appreciated 

If they're Ford lock nuts then you can get one from them. They'll know which pattern key from your reg/vin number. 

Peugeot 307 2006, the car has been breaking down a number of times recently, Mech thinks it may be the alternator as three(2nd hand)  batteries have been drained and ruined upto now, but most salient  issue is that the immobiliser key fell apart and was then re-assembled. While it worked a few times, it now won't work now, car won't start, fuel pump not starting, message on ECU is 'economy mode', which  I believe means that ECU is shutting down processes and that the transponder on the key isn't working. I have the peugeot dealers card to get a discount for a replacement key, but really don't want to spend all that money. I f i get a version of Peugeot Planet would that help,   any ideas, 

Aldresearch around?

tx,

Edited by gamezone07

"Economy mode" means that the battery is going flat and the car has turned off things like electric windows, heater and radio to save power.

I bet the regulator on the alternator has gone and its been overcharging.

I've surprised that when a new battery was fitted, the voltage wasn't checked.

Check your key by doing the "beep test" - put key in ignition and open door.  If you hear beeps then the car is detecting the key.

If your key broke up, check you haven't lost the ID46 chip from inside the case:

Image result for id46 chip

If you need the key code or a replacement key, there's a great chap in Bradford who does them for a fraction of the price of the dealers.  See item 14:

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/#post529130

Had a chat with him, he is not convinced it is the key, car does start, well, goes, put put, put, it may be the alternator it has been failing, ruining batteries, thing is the car is parked in Porter Brook GP Centre! It can't stay there much longer,