Egypt considers Burqa ban

So you have the siesta, you wear the fur hat, you drink the vodka.

When in Yorkshire (so right now I suppose) you wear a flat cap, you drink Tetleys, you work down a mine and own a whippet?

Perhaps I'm unusual, but when I go abroad I take clothes that I already own, I eat things that I'm comfortable eating, I behave pretty much like I do at home.

Obviously I wouldn't knowingly break the law anywhere I go, but I don't try to look and act like a local either.

I don't know anyone who wears a flat cap or anyone who owns a whippet or a pub that sells Tetleys, at least not around here. I did work down a mine before they disappeared, although that was not in Yorkshire. I have drank vodka with Russians but no-one was wearing any hats, and I certainly don't do anything much during siesta time. As for looking like a local. Well I can blend in well in places like Australia, America, Russia, Scandinavia, a bit difficult though when we were in South America, Africa,China and Japan. Oh, and India.

Edited by spilldig

The subject is Trendy...

Is Iran Here?

Freedom is basic Hoodies

Edited by steve68

If you were to walk into a bank or a supermarket wearing a motorcycle helmet of full face balaclava you'd probably come under attention of security.

And you wouldn't be served until you removed it. The same private rules can be applied to burqas.

I doubt that very much. It would be a brave business owner who would prevent a burqa wearing person from entering their premises. The cries of racism, human rights etc etc splashed across the newspapers could ruin their business. It would be a field day for hard liners.

If this is a security issue then the government needs to enact laws that spell out clearly the rights of business owners and those who have responsibilities for premises. They should be able to make their own risk assessment and to have the protection of the law if they decide that wearing of the attire is contrary to good security.

If folk want to wear this garb then they should be allowed to but equally the public needs to have the right to insist that it should not be worn in certain situations where there are clear security issues, schools, hospitals, banks, shops being some examples.

Edited by Jomie

They should not have chose to wear it, as there parents when they came over should not. for the reasons I have already pointed out.

Do you then go to another country and deliberatly flout thier customs ?

Some reverts to Islam wear it by their own choice

Their parents would have been white indeginous

Not having come from ' another' country.

I know some ladies who insist on wearing it even against wishes of their husband

I believe it all boils down to freedom of choice

I doubt that very much. It would be a brave business owner who would prevent a burqa wearing person from entering their premises. The cries of racism, human rights etc etc splashed across the newspapers could ruin their business. It would be a field day for hard liners.

If this is a security issue then the government needs to enact laws that spell out clearly the rights of business owners and those who have responsibilities for premises. They should be able to make their own risk assessment and to have the protection of the law if they decide that wearing of the attire is contrary to good security.

If folk want to wear this garb then they should be allowed to but equally the public needs to have the right to insist that it should not be worn in certain situations where there are clear security issues, schools, hospitals, banks, shops being some examples.

No business will prevent a helmet wearing person from entering either.

They'll simply not serve them until they can establish their identity.

Private businesses and the state already have the right you suggest.

---------- Post added 10-11-2018 at 21:08 ----------

Out of interest, banks... They don't have my photo, so when I go in, why exactly do they need to see my face? It won't help them establish who I am...

Petrol stations require faces to be uncovered for CCTV reasons I think.

They should not have chose to wear it, as there parents when they came over should not. for the reasons I have already pointed out.

Do you then go to another country and deliberatly flout thier customs ?

Some reverts to Islam wear it by their own choice

Their parents would have been white indeginous

Not having come from ' another' country.

I know some ladies who insist on wearing it even against wishes of their husband

I believe it all boils down to freedom of choice

Like my freedom to enjoy a drink in Saudi Arabia and my wife to go topless on one of thier beaches. We wouldn't do it. Not because we would probably be locked up for years, but believe it or not, because we would not want to offend the local population by flouting thier customs.