Subtitles On TV Channels

No matter what television channel you put on the subtitles are out of sync.

Either come on then disappear for bit, are way behind or way in front of what's being said.

Anyone else noticed this ?

Very difficult to get interested in a program and follow it, if like me you are hard of hearing.

Tried to find out who to complain to by a search on google but still no wiser.

I’ve only known subtitles go out of sync on live programs, eg news broadcasts when (I imagine) some poor subtitler is bashing away on a keyboard trying to keep up with the spoken words in real time :D

I’ve not noticed problems with other channels.

What channels are affected ?

What programs ?

What brand TV set do you have ?

I used to have a cheap no-name Freeview set top box that locked up whenever I enabled subtitles. That sucked.

I occasionally put the subtitles on due to mumbling or strong accents. I noticed in last weeks Shetland that some entire lines were missed off the subtitles.

Some of the subtitles on tv are laugh out loud funny when they get it wrong :hihi::hihi:

No matter what television channel you put on the subtitles are out of sync.

Either come on then disappear for bit, are way behind or way in front of what's being said.

Anyone else noticed this ?

Very difficult to get interested in a program and follow it, if like me you are hard of hearing.

Tried to find out who to complain to by a search on google but still no wiser.

You're probably getting a weak tv signal, this could possibly put the subtitles out of sync with the picture.

My wife and I have two set top boxes supplied by Virgin Media - both of which have an 100% strong signal, one set top box controls a television in our dining room and the other set top box controls the television in the lounge.

Both Televisions are of good quality and were not cheap models.

The problem channels affected by out of sync subtitles are other than:

BBC1, BBC2, ITV, CH4 and CH5.

Since placing this posting, I have found some info out having googled the problem and it appears that Offcom have had numerous complaints about this problem over the past 3 years and have been in contact with the people whi put the programs out.