Adopting a older dog

Right guy's. I need your help. I've got lot's of love to give a dog. I had a staffy for 16 years. Unfortunately I lost her a couple of years ago. I am now ready to love again.Would love to adopt a little older staffy. I have adopted 2 cat's so I would need to take them in to consideration.i just want a little dog that wants lot's of love,cuddles on the sofa and a potter along the lane to the park.

Cheers in advance .x

Must be plenty with the RSPCA or Dog Trust

Good afternoon,

I'm a volunteer at JLP Trust Animal Rescue and we have a 9 year old female Staffy cross called Millie who's owner has had to go into a care home and his family can't keep her so are just calling into the house to feed her and see her for short periods of time.

She adores people but we've suggested she needs a pet free home - do your cats spend lots of time inside or are they mainly outside cats? If you feel you'd be interested in her please go to our Facebook page where you can see photos and the full write up about her. She is absolutely beautiful and we're desperate to get her a loving home asap. Homechecks and an adoption fee of £150 apply with our rescue.

All contact details are on her facebook post if you would like to take this further.

Thank you!

Good afternoon,

I'm a volunteer at JLP Trust Animal Rescue and we have a 9 year old female Staffy cross called Millie who's owner has had to go into a care home and his family can't keep her so are just calling into the house to feed her and see her for short periods of time.

She adores people but needs a pet free home. If you feel you'd be interested in her please go to our Facebook page where you can see photos and the full write up about her. She is absolutely beautiful and we're desperate to get her a loving home asap. Homechecks and an adoption fee of £150 apply with our rescue.

All contact details are on her facebook post if you would like to take this further.

Thank you!

She sounds lovely but the OP has 2 cats?

She sounds lovely but the OP has 2 cats?

That is why I asked if the cats are indoor/outdoor cats, as it may be something that could be worked around.

It would be fantastic if we could get her into a loving home, the poor little girl is spending so much time alone now, it's heartbreaking :-(

That is why I asked if the cats are indoor/outdoor cats, as it may be something that could be worked around.

It would be fantastic if we could get her into a loving home, the poor little girl is spending so much time alone now, it's heartbreaking :-(

Ah yeah you mustve edited your post after I quoted it.

Older dogs get overlooked so often by all the people that want a cute little puppy. Really hope she finds a home soon :(

I would be cautious of recommending a dog that must go to a pet free home to a home where there are cats - even 'outdoor' cats spend the majority of their time indoors (especially on a foul day like today) and they are after all, the original residents. It's do-able but I'd be very careful. great that the OP is considering an older dog, I'm sure there are lots out there just waiting for the right home.

We adopted a 2 year old Dobermann, Jesse (a cruelty case), after losing our first dobe to lung cancer and as we were totally unsure how she would react to a house full of cats and other critters, we introduced her very carefully and installed several dog/baby gates around the house with a gap underneath for our older cats to dodge through and not so high that they couldn't jump over if needs be.

We put the dog on a long leash and introduced the most placid of our cats first. the ones that were more skittish or likely to lash out, we brought into the room in a basket and then when they were calmer, we let the cats roam around the room. Yes, the dog got over excited (she still does, more than 6 years on, because if a cat runs away, she thinks she should give chase) but by carefully introducing Jesse to the resident cats, we have made sure that they can coexist.

For the first few weeks, whenever we were out and the dog was going to be left on her own, to be on the safe side, we tried to keep Jesse away from the cats or at least to give the cats somewhere they could retreat safely if they needed to. They soon settled down. I think it can be difficult with dogs known to have a high prey drive but not impossible.

Jesse lives with 10 cats, mostly rescues, all with very different purrsonalities. we still have the dog gates upstairs to stop her from trying to steal the cats' food (or raiding the litter boxes) but downstairs where they all free roam, the gates are always left open :)

Edited by katkin

We have just been informed that the family have now given Millie away to a friend of a cousin. All we can hope is that she's gone to a safe loving home!!!

We do have plenty of other dogs available for re-homing though so please do take a look at our facebook page.

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 13:16 ----------

I would be cautious of recommending a dog that must go to a pet free home to a home where there are cats - even 'outdoor' cats spend the majority of their time indoors (especially on a foul day like today) and they are after all, the original residents. It's do-able but I'd be very careful. great that the OP is considering an older dog, I'm sure there are lots out there just waiting for the right home.

We adopted a 2 year old Dobermann, Jesse (a cruelty case), after losing our first dobe to lung cancer and as we were totally unsure how she would react to a house full of cats and other critters, we introduced her very carefully and installed several dog/baby gates around the house with a gap underneath for our older cats to dodge through and not so high that they couldn't jump over if needs be.

We put the dog on a long leash and introduced the most placid of our cats first. the ones that were more skittish or likely to lash out, we brought into the room in a basket and then when they were calmer, we let the cats roam around the room. Yes, the dog got over excited (she still does, more than 6 years on, because if a cat runs away, she thinks she should give chase) but by carefully introducing Jesse to the resident cats, we have made sure that they can coexist.

For the first few weeks, whenever we were out and the dog was going to be left on her own, to be on the safe side, we tried to keep Jesse away from the cats or at least to give the cats somewhere they could retreat safely if they needed to. They soon settled down. I think it can be difficult with dogs known to have a high prey drive but not impossible.

Jesse lives with 10 cats, mostly rescues, all with very different purrsonalities. we still have the dog gates upstairs to stop her from trying to steal the cats' food (or raiding the litter boxes) but downstairs where they all free roam, the gates are always left open :)

You really don't need to advise me/us how to do this, or to be careful - we spend every single day picking up the pieces of people harming/dumping dogs. We are all volunteers and do are very best to ensure each dog is rehomed to the best and most suitable home for it's needs.

This specific dog had never lived with cats so we can't say she hates them, we just don't know and we always do our best to ensure all resident animals are happy with any new animal coming in to the home. We even stipulate that any resident dog(s) must be at the meet and greet of the dog someone is applying for for this exact reason.

We have just been informed that the family have now given Millie away to a friend of a cousin. All we can hope is that she's gone to a safe loving home!!!

We do have plenty of other dogs available for re-homing though so please do take a look at our facebook page.

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 13:16 ----------

You really don't need to advise me/us how to do this, or to be careful - we spend every single day picking up the pieces of people harming/dumping dogs. We are all volunteers and do are very best to ensure each dog is rehomed to the best and most suitable home for it's needs.

This specific dog had never lived with cats so we can't say she hates them, we just don't know and we always do our best to ensure all resident animals are happy with any new animal coming in to the home. We even stipulate that any resident dog(s) must be at the meet and greet of the dog someone is applying for for this exact reason.

Sorry you seem to think I was being snotty or doubting your experience. I was not. I have a lifetime of experience of owning cats, dogs and other pets too and I've fostered cats for a good many years so was sharing some of my experiences. Cats have been known to leave homes where dogs have been adopted where they haven't been properly introduced and introducing an adult dog that has been described as not being pet friendly or needing to be the only pet would concern me unless there was some way that the cats could safely enter and escape in the eRly days. I didn't give up on a dog that we didn't know would be safe with cats, I followed a few simple suggestions to ease the introductions.

I've also Had to endure seeing a prey driven dog killing one of my cats so I'm naturally very wary of dogs that may not be cat friendly or where we just don't know what they are like with cats. I shared my recent experiences of adopting a big dog that we did not know for sure would adapt to living with cats. The original poster has cats and is considering adopting an adult older dog. I'm saying that's great and suggesting some ways to make it work.

PS glad to hear this oldie staffy has been adopted and saddened that so many more are out there hoping to find their furrever home. The cats I foster tend to be oldies and I know how difficult it is to get people to consider older rescues

Edited by katkin