Grit bins left open

I noticed last winter someone keeps leaving the grit bins lids open on my road and its happened again. At first I thought it must be kids but now I've noticed them open all over the city. I can only think those who fill them cant be bothered to close them. So as soon as it rains it dissolves, may as well not bother.

I saw the very same thing this morning when I drove past the Grit Bin at the top of Occupation Lane.

I noticed last winter someone keeps leaving the grit bins lids open on my road and its happened again. At first I thought it must be kids but now I've noticed them open all over the city. I can only think those who fill them cant be bothered to close them. So as soon as it rains it dissolves, may as well not bother.[/Q

They are often left open by people who collect grit for their own use.

The one in Broomhill near the little car park by the Nottingham was open this morning and full of discarded clothes - maybe a bagfull intended for a charity shop - with some strewn over the pavement.

You have grit bins? You must live in the more privdged areas of the city

Edited by Chrissoftley

Our nearest grit bin used to have a very flimsy lid which kept getting blown open and the bin just filled with water. The current one has a lockable lid with more weight to it. Might be worth contacting the provider for a replacement bin?

I saw the very same thing this morning when I drove past the Grit Bin at the top of Occupation Lane.

Did you close the lid ?

You have grit bins? You must live in the more privdged areas of the city

Anyone can request a grit bin, I live on a road that has quite a slope. I mailed and asked for one and they put one at the bottom of the road for the following winter, not sure if it is still there though.

What kind of grit is it that dissolves?

Anyone can request a grit bin, I live on a road that has quite a slope. I mailed and asked for one and they put one at the bottom of the road for the following winter, not sure if it is still there though.

You can request but you don't always get, we ( neighbours ) have been requesting one for years and even offered to pay for it to no avail.

---------- Post added 03-12-2017 at 18:16 ----------

What kind of grit is it that dissolves?

I think they are meaning the salt not the grit.

we used to have one at the top of our road but they took it away a few years ago even though we never get gritted and live on a steep hill.