Something weird happening on Frog Walk S11

The last few days, our dog has totally freaked out at a point about 20 feet into Frog Walk (from the Sharrow Road entrance). We thought he was just being a bit strange, but we've just talked to our neighbour who also has a dog, and exactly the same thing has happened. They get to near the first lamppost, and then go absolutely crazy to get away - our dog actually ran back up from walk and out onto the road yesterday, something he's never done before. Today, I kept him on the lead when passing that spot but he screamed as if in pain and nearly pulled me over in his desperation to get away.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any ideas?

The last few days, our dog has totally freaked out at a point about 20 feet into Frog Walk (from the Sharrow Road entrance). We thought he was just being a bit strange, but we've just talked to our neighbour who also has a dog, and exactly the same thing has happened. They get to near the first lamppost, and then go absolutely crazy to get away - our dog actually ran back up from walk and out onto the road yesterday, something he's never done before. Today, I kept him on the lead when passing that spot but he screamed as if in pain and nearly pulled me over in his desperation to get away.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any ideas?

Could be urine scent from an animal not usually around there. A badger perhaps.

Could be urine scent from an animal not usually around there. A badger perhaps.

Hmm, possibly. Would that actually make him shriek, though? Honestly, it was as though something had hit him.

Hmm, possibly. Would that actually make him shriek, though? Honestly, it was as though something had hit him.

Not sure tbh. I was just offering suggestions. Dogs have incredibly sensitive noses, and frog walk especially is quite confined so must be a smell fest for dogs. An unfamiliar scent that dogs are naturally repelled by could perhaps cause such a reaction. (e.g. perhaps an animal that was a threat to them in their evolution). I only thought of Badger as example.

Maybe a ghost? Animals can sense things we can't

Of the two ideas so far - even though mines a complete guess - I would opt for mine :hihi:

Maybe a ghost? Animals can sense things we can't

Dogs have good smell. If only they could communicate with us, they could probably tell us every animal (including human) that had walked down it in the last week.

Perhaps the electric lamp post is live and he does'nt fancy getting his wotsit near it.

Perhaps the electric lamp post is live and he does'nt fancy getting his wotsit near it.

Actually, I think that may well be it – found this (going to call Sheffield council in the morning):

https://animalwellnessmagazine.com/electric-shock-street/

---------- Post added 26-11-2017 at 20:15 ----------

Not sure tbh. I was just offering suggestions. Dogs have incredibly sensitive noses, and frog walk especially is quite confined so must be a smell fest for dogs. An unfamiliar scent that dogs are naturally repelled by could perhaps cause such a reaction. (e.g. perhaps an animal that was a threat to them in their evolution). I only thought of Badger as example.

Of the two ideas so far - even though mines a complete guess - I would opt for mine :hihi:

Dogs have good smell. If only they could communicate with us, they could probably tell us every animal (including human) that had walked down it in the last week.

True! Wish they could tell us stuff...

---------- Post added 26-11-2017 at 20:16 ----------

Someone may have one of those ultrasonic wildlife deterrents in the area..

You wouldn't be able to hear it, but it would drive your dogs crazy...

Something like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?keywords=animal+ultrasonic+repeller

I wondered if it might be something like that, but I'm beginning to think it may be a faulty streetlight; https://animalwellnessmagazine.com/electric-shock-street/

It was just a thought, its been known before. Let me know how it goes!.

Definitely a ghost. It's a cemetery, lots of ghosts knocking about.

Frog Walk is a bit grimy, surely any self respecting ghost would pop out down the other side in the new flats area, where it's much more trendy :):hihi:

Frog Walk is a bit grimy, surely any self respecting ghost would pop out down the other side in the new flats area, where it's much more trendy :):hihi:

Oooooo, I don’t know. What if it’s a ghost with a 80’s fashion dress sense? That’s probably what scared the dogs off, big massive shoulder pads ?