Laying a new drive

Thanks for all your further replies. We have a builder visiting this weekend who I trust to do a good job, but I would value any recommendations to other companies that have laid drives for any other people on the forum.

Any suggestions for companies that are pleasant to deal with and do good work?

I can highly recommend http://acparker.freehostia.com/ He is always busy though but that's usual for a good builder.

I certainly would not want a drive that needs jet washing every year...certainly not for a drive that has a LandRover parked on it.

I certainly would not want a drive that needs jet washing every year...certainly not for a drive that has a LandRover parked on it.

It's one or the other though isn't it ?

The new style driveways need maintenance at a fair cost when you have already had your pants pulled down !

My opinion is do I want to spend loads on a driveway or spend the money on personal enjoyment, lifestyle etc ?

I suppose it depends on the person.

Edited by Starlc

Can't beat 6" of concrete in my opinion and think it's madness paying many thousands of pounds for a drive. Every house I have been at I have concreted the driveway and never had a problem !

looks pretty awful though and a throwback to the 70s and even concrete drives done correctly are not cheap.

looks pretty awful though and a throwback to the 70s and even concrete drives done correctly are not cheap.

i don't think it looks awful personally but everyone to there own. My opinion is that the new style drives are a complete rip off and at the end of the day its just a drive way but that's me.

I park my van and Range Rover on it every day with no problems as for stains if it’s sealed nothing stains it and when it’s jet washed it looks brand new fading concrete and tarmac look rubbish block paving moves

Thanks once again. We are now expecting an initial quote and I am looking to get an idea if this is reasonable, compared to the prices I can expect to be charged elsewhere.

I am not expecting to use materials other than block paving or asphalt, depending on the costs involved. I have been advised that these alternatives are sound, assuming the underlying base layers are laid correctly - to a sufficient depth and compacted in the proper way.

Thanks

Ours was recently done at £60 psqm, but I've seen some people get quotes a little cheaper, depends on area and the type of paving etc.