Solicitors dragging heels with conveyancing

Solicitors still work in the 1800's.

They think there untouchable but in reality the whole legal profession needs a damn good kick up the arse.

There is no reason why a home sale couldn't be completed in 24 hours providing there is no chain or mortgage involved. (I've done it, therefore its more than possible).

Having been at the mercy of the legal profession for the last 20odd years while running my removal company I can honestly say that solicitors most of the time are at fault for the delays. We have had customers in tears after booking with us and being packed up ready to go then having "the call" from a solicitor the day before removal saying it has to be postponed. We have even had a customer being called into the office while we are loading the lorry to sign a paper that the solicitor hadn't got them to sign before. For the amount of money that is paid to them, the service should be improved and speeded up. It's the days of email with instant communication so it should be much quicker.

For the amount of money that is paid to them, the service should be improved and speeded up. It's the days of email with instant communication so it should be much quicker.

This might be a perspective thing, but the amount of money paid for the service itself is paltry, right? Around £500 or so? Fixed price, whatever happens (often). Don't mistakenly bundle your SDLT into "money that is paid to them", nor other costs / fees that they just pass on to the bill you see. The line item you see for "Professional Services" or "Legal Fees" will often be quite modest.

I agree with your last sentence so much, though, and I have had to force that issue repeatedly.

I would say to everyone out there - if you're not satisfied or don't want to pay - give it a go yourself. It's perfectly possible. Not something I'd relish doing tho'.

Every transaction is different, of course. But I agree that any problem should be disclosed by the solicitor to the client.

OP has not actually told us the nature of the delaying problem.