What is it like to live at Stocksbridge?

I realise there are a few other threads asking this, though they seem to be a few years old and I'm hoping for more up-to-date (and honest) opinions.

My family and I have been offered a council property. I drive, so transport isn't much of a problem (perhaps when it snows). Is there much in the way of family/community events? Any advice much appreciated :)

i've lived here quite a few years now and i find it ok

---------- Post added 28-11-2017 at 01:00 ----------

i live in a council property and my neighbours are ok there is a lot going on with the new fox valley shopping centre, schools and nursery's ok.

---------- Post added 28-11-2017 at 01:15 ----------

we do have our own newspaper "look local" which tells you all whats happening events and so on..i find people really friendly if i'm walking about people will stop me for a chat or say alright hope this helps don't hesitate to ask me if you need any more info

I live in Deepcar and the one thing I've noticed most compared to my old place is that is that people say hello to one another.

Personal, nasty comments have been removed, if any more are posted you may find your access to the forum suspended.

Thank you.

Lived there for 10 years, it was absolutely fine.

We had decent neighbours, shops, restaurants, takeaways, doctors, pharmacy, leisure centre etc and lovely countryside walks all on hand. Good place to live imo.

The roads are well cleared and gritted by the way so transport is rarely an issue. Even if the weather is very bad the busses still run along the main road at the bottom. I commute in to town every day and in 10 years I can only think of one occasion where I couldn't get in - and my employer was closed that day anyway!

We only moved a short way away (only because we wanted a particular sort of house that we couldn't find within Stocky), and still return there to go shopping and to the leisure centre.

---------- Post added 28-11-2017 at 12:22 ----------

I live in Deepcar and the one thing I've noticed most compared to my old place is that is that people say hello to one another.

Yes I agree it always seemed friendly to me, even as a complete 'outsider'.

We moved back to Stocksbridge a few months ago. We both lived in the area for a few years but had to move away to find suitable rented accommodation. And we are now glad to be back after two years away.

There is a real village feeling, everyone seems to know each other. It depends how much you want to partake, I suppose you could keep yourself to yourself, if you prefer. We do like to visit the Legionnaires Club and have gotten to know a few of the lovely local characters.

We have really nice neighbours, our closest ones sent us a "New Home" card just after we moved, which I thought was a very nice gesture :)

Cold pal, cold and remote. The Siberia of this county. Could be worse , though, mexborough..................

i moved here 40 years ago and think I was born here,home sweet home.