Does anyone remember Dolphin Street?

its where my grandparents lived it was situated where the woodburn road atheltics stadium now stands....my grandma told me it was that narrow she could open her front door and knock on the door of the house across the road without moving off her front step,can anyone confirm this or better still show me a photo of it.

thanks

Hi Kirky

I remember Dolphin St when I worked at the YEB in 60's It was known as the Indian village then and was near to Darnall.It was a hard to find place. All I can remember is a street of terraced houses and very friendly people.

Regards

Fred

Originally posted by f.everill

Hi Kirky

I remember Dolphin St when I worked at the YEB in 60's It was known as the Indian village then and was near to Darnall.It was a hard to find place. All I can remember is a street of terraced houses and very friendly people.

Regards

Fred

cheers fred someone else told me it was called the indian village....was it near to where makro is now.

yes it was coz someone told me yesterday:D

Hello Kirky,

I'm a newcomer to the site and had grandparents who lived in Dolphin Street Grandad John Henry (Champy) Smith and Grandma Polly lived at No 1. I heard My Uncle Vin Hutchinson who married Aunty LIzzie call it the Indian Village. Lizzie said he married one of the squaws. My Dad's Parents John Henry Turner and Rose lived in the same yard at the bottom of the street. There was a WW1 war memorial in a large picture frame hung on the wall at the bottom of the street. I have a photo of it. Many of my relatives names were on it. I went to visit the street with my Mum, I think in the early eighties, but they had just about finished demolishing the street. I wonder what happened to the war memorial. I would like to see it again if it is still kept somewhere. Eight of the lads from that street gave their lives in that war. It should have been preserved for posterity in the City and should also be on view to the public like any other Memorial.

Here is a list of names on the Dolphin Street ww1 memorial does anyone out there relate to them? I hope I got them right, can't guarantee it since the photo was a little out of focus and was of hand painted scroll writing. I apologise if they aren't correct.

The framed memorial was headed "For King and Country"

It had a a two line heading which is unclear but I think it says

"for the people killed and who answered the call of duty

from Dolphin Street and Broad Oaks Lane to the Great World War of 1914:

Killed and died of wounds

Pte A. Johnson RSF July1916 ( I think he was my grandad Turner's sister's relative)

Pte J Leary RSF March 1916 (we knew her as aunt Lizzie Johnson)

Pte J Elkington 1st july 1916 (He was my Aunt Annie's Dad she was one at the time)

Corporal N. Jaques W.Y. Oct 6th 1916

Gunner J. Jaques W.Y. 21st July 1917

Pte J. Wooley Jan 16th 1917

Pt J Waller Oct 2nd 1917

Pt K. Norton (or Martin not clear) Oct 5th 1917

Wounded

Pte J Smith Y & L

Pte J. Leary WY

Driver J. Drake RFA M.M.

L. Corporal H Drake S.W.W.R.

Rifleman J.H. Smith R.A. This was my grandad known as Champy.

Pt A.K. Jarvis 3rd W.Y.

Corporal V. Hutchinson W.Y. (My uncle married champy's Eldest daughter)

Pt K Bradbury D.L. I.

Corporal Halley R.S.F.

Pte Halley

Corporal J. W. Bellamy Y.I.

Corporal J. Bellamy RFA

Corporal J. Pegg R.E.

Pt J.Halgate? M.G.C.

Gunner J.H. Turner R.F.A. (my Uncle, he married Laura Bellamy Sister of above and Billy.

Pte F. Capel Y.I.

L. Corporal Latrant K.O.S.B.

Pte J. Thompson W.Y.

Pte A. Shepherd Y.I.

Pte J. Bagnall KOYLI

L Corporal P. Turner R.M.L.I. (my Dad)

Pte W. Newton Y.I.

Pte C.A. Capel 2nd R.M.F.

Not Wounded

Pte A.H. Burton 14th Glos

Sapper J Kirkham R.E.

Rifleman H. Emmingham K.R.R.

Pte W. Halley York R.

Pte W. Halley 14th Glos

Pte H. Hawley W.Y.

Pte A Birchwood A.S.C.

Gunner J. Lambert R.F.A.

JCES H. Hector R.F.A.

Pte A. Turner M.G.C. (my uncle Arthur)

Pte J. Harthill W.Y.

Pte F. Leary D.L.I.

Pte Bishop 2nd Res CAV

Pte E Smedley KOYLI

Pte G.A. Peach KOYLI

Sgt J.W. Leary D.L.I.

Pte A Inckley? KOYLI

Pte E. Jenkin R.M.L.I.

Pte W. Irveman C & G

Pte A. Nuttall W.Y.

Cpl D. May N.D.

Pte E. Johnson C & G

they all received good report and gloriously triumphed in victory

The path of duty was the way to victory

Suscribed by all the neighbours

Does anyone Know where the memorial went when the street was demolished?

Dear Ronty

Have you tried the Sheff memorial depositary on Carver Street it is a small church next to the new fire station. The person I spoke to was Mrs Robinson about the memorial from Holy Trinity Darnall it was a while ago and I dont know if she is still there. If she doesnt know she may point you in the right direction.

There is also the National Inventry of War memorials on http://www.ukniwm.org.uk they might be able to tell you. If you know of a list for Holy Trinity Darnall can you let me know.

Good hunting,

Sue

Dear Ronty

Mrs Robinson is no longer at Carver st but the building is still there a small church. I have also spoken to someone at Church House Effingham St Rotherham they might be able to help you as to where the memorial has gone to, but it was on a wall and not a church. Have you tried local studies/archives or Sheffield family history society forum is good. sheffieldfhs.org.uk and click on forum

Hope you find it

Sue

I might have found the Holy Trinity memorial keep your fingers crossed

Dear Ronty

Mrs Robinson is no longer at Carver st but the building is still there a small church. I have also spoken to someone at Church House Effingham St Rotherham they might be able to help you as to where the memorial has gone to, but it was on a wall and not a church. Have you tried local studies/archives or Sheffield family history society forum is good. sheffieldfhs.org.uk and click on forum

Hope you find it

Sue

I might have found the Holy Trinity memorial keep your fingers crossed

Also keeping my fingers crossed. Please keep us informed re Holy Trinity Memorial

Could you scan the photo to PM me a copy we could print it with the list and put it in the local studies library, they have started a folder containing pictures and lists of war memorials in the Sheffield area that is what I have done with the one I found for The Green Darnall.

It is a permanent reminder for something that has gone missing, is not available to view/damaged or in a private place.

Sue

Dolphin street was over the iron bridge opposite where woodbourne road athletic stadium is now. I actually lived on the corner facing the bridge. I remember my mum telling me about Dolphin St. but it had already gone by the time I was a kid in the 70's. I can remember going for long walks 'over the bridge' and by that time it was all green fields with some 'works' at the side where Dolphin st. would have started. Happy memories!

Dear Ronti,

I was born on Dolphin Street in 1961, the last of four generations to be born in the Indian Village. My great-grandfather moved to Dolphin Street in 1897 from Barsley, to work at Nunnery pit. I was very interested in the names on the Memorial, "H. Drake" should be W(illiam) Drake and J. Drake were my grandfathers brothers. "W. Irveman", should be W. Trueman. Bill and Joe Drake lived at No 16, Bill Trueman lived at No 18, Bishop lived at No 12, John Harthill lived at No 20 John Kirkham lived at No 22 and "Champy" Smith lived in one of the four houses that made up Broad Oaks lane, at the end of Dolphin Street. All of these men were brought up as kids on the street and went to war together - I suppose you could call them the "Dolphin Street Pals".

I understand that the memorial was torn down in about 1945 and was last seen being used as part of a cucumber cold frame... Your photo is probably the only memory of that memorial and, like SueSmith, I'd love a scanned copy if that's at all possible.