Clarence Street/Springfield Road Junior School

Anyone remember either the street or the school? I lived on the street till about 1963 and attended the school till moving on to Tapton. Like to hear from anyone from that area.

lived in crookes went to tapton but spent all my time on clarence street first girl friend but sadley shes no longer with us

Lynda,

I assume that you mean Springfield School, rather than Springfield ROAD.

I was there from 1955 to 1961 and lived on Aberdeen Street until they knocked the house down and we moved to Gleadless.

My Dad worked at Viners at the top of Clarence Street

I lived at 149 Clarence st and went to St Silas C of E school there has been one or two threads about the bottom of the Moor crews and all around the time you mention.

---------- Post added 30-05-2013 at 18:12 ----------

lived in crookes went to tapton but spent all my time on clarence street first girl friend but sadley shes no longer with us

Hi SID if possible can you name your ex who lived on Clarence st I might have known her was it Ann Windle R.I.P.

Hiya Thanks for reply. Who was your girlfriend? I might have known her. Sorry to hear she's no longer with us. I went to Tapton from 1962 - 1966. Now live near Doncaster but still have family in Sheffield. Take care

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 16:02 ----------

Lynda,

I assume that you mean Springfield School, rather than Springfield ROAD.

I was there from 1955 to 1961 and lived on Aberdeen Street until they knocked the house down and we moved to Gleadless.

My Dad worked at Viners at the top of Clarence Street

Hiya Thanks for the reply and I stand corrected. I went to the junior school but don't remember much. One teacher stand out - even now! Miss Hall. She used to chew rice (I think!) and gave me the slipper........ Do you remember the 'play centre'? Used to go at night- the good old days before computers took over the world. Ha! Ha!

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 16:08 ----------

I lived at 149 Clarence st and went to St Silas C of E school there has been one or two threads about the bottom of the Moor crews and all around the time you mention.

---------- Post added 30-05-2013 at 18:12 ----------

Hi SID if possible can you name your ex who lived on Clarence st I might have known her was it Ann Windle R.I.P.

Hi Jack

Thanks for the reply. Think we lived at 70 something - can't quite remember the number (must be an age thing). Like most families we moved out when the houses were knocked down. Think it's mainly factories now. Remember the names of a few families that lived roundabout, but can't place yours.

Hiya Thanks for reply. Who was your girlfriend? I might have known her. Sorry to hear she's no longer with us. I went to Tapton from 1962 - 1966. Now live near Doncaster but still have family in Sheffield. Take care

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 16:02 ----------

Hiya Thanks for the reply and I stand corrected. I went to the junior school but don't remember much. One teacher stand out - even now! Miss Hall. She used to chew rice (I think!) and gave me the slipper........ Do you remember the 'play centre'? Used to go at night- the good old days before computers took over the world. Ha! Ha!

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 16:08 ----------

Hi Jack

Thanks for the reply. Think we lived at 70 something - can't quite remember the number (must be an age thing). Like most families we moved out when the houses were knocked down. Think it's mainly factories now. Remember the names of a few families that lived roundabout, but can't place yours.

Hi LyndaM

Thanks for your reply do you remember a family called SLACK "relatives" of mine that lived on the opposite side of Clarence St just below Viners Joe & Lucy parents both R.I.P. plus Christen R.I.P. and David kids funny it's 60yrs since the Queens Coronation only the Slacks were one of the first in the area to own a tv and quite a large crowd gathered at their open window for people to watch also do you remember the pig man who came round collecting SWILL to feed the pigs he always had a pocket full of Dolly Mixtures sweets to hand out to the kids that brought him any potato peelings or other swill that was my father also named jack R.I.P. Ann Windle R.I.P. was the name of the girl I went out with for a while she ended up marrying a close friend of mine until her passing away quite a number of yrs ago Mike Armitage was his name he also lived on Clarence St near Viners I do hope you have memories of the people mentioned TAKE CARE.

Hi LyndaM

Thanks for your reply do you remember a family called SLACK "relatives" of mine that lived on the opposite side of Clarence St just below Viners Joe & Lucy parents both R.I.P. plus Christen R.I.P. and David kids funny it's 60yrs since the Queens Coronation only the Slacks were one of the first in the area to own a tv and quite a large crowd gathered at their open window for people to watch also do you remember the pig man who came round collecting SWILL to feed the pigs he always had a pocket full of Dolly Mixtures sweets to hand out to the kids that brought him any potato peelings or other swill that was my father also named jack R.I.P. Ann Windle R.I.P. was the name of the girl I went out with for a while she ended up marrying a close friend of mine until her passing away quite a number of yrs ago Mike Armitage was his name he also lived on Clarence St near Viners I do hope you have memories of the people mentioned TAKE CARE.

Hello again Jack

I recall the name Slack. Lad about my age lived across the road from us called John Croft. Family called Lee lived near the café - 3 girls, Joan and Marie and I think Val. Hempshalls - Sheila and John. Beighton's, another 3 girls, Susan, Pamela, ?. I think a Judith Hoodless. Our next door neighbour was Kemp. It's all coming back to me now........... My brother was George (Gud), he's now 72 and my sister was Christine, she's 68.I'm 61. Ring any bells? Take care Keep sharing the memories.

Hello again Jack

I recall the name Slack. Lad about my age lived across the road from us called John Croft. Family called Lee lived near the café - 3 girls, Joan and Marie and I think Val. Hempshalls - Sheila and John. Beighton's, another 3 girls, Susan, Pamela, ?. I think a Judith Hoodless. Our next door neighbour was Kemp. It's all coming back to me now........... My brother was George (Gud), he's now 72 and my sister was Christine, she's 68.I'm 61. Ring any bells? Take care Keep sharing the memories.

Sorry Lynda non of the names you mentioned have rung a bell with me I lived near the bottom end of Clarence St towards Eccy Rd we dont realise how long Clarence St was all I know they were rough old days but HAPPY ONES :love: .

Hi Lynda

I too remember Miss Hall and understand what you mean about the rice. She certainly had a strange mannerism that made it look like that, so it is certainly possible,

She always looked ancient to me so it's a little worrying that she was probably quite a bit younger than I am now.

I also remember a couple of the girls that you mentioned, Sheila Hempshall and Judith Hoodless.

The lads that I used to knock around with in those days were Tommy Radford,

Mick Johnson, Richard Saunderson, Steve Marshall, John Ward, John Crookes, Neil Siddons, and Alan Robertson. Would be intersted to hear if anyone knows what happened to any of them. Richard is the only one that I have had contact with since those days.

hia lynda and jack yes your about right lynda, joan was the lady who was my first girlfriend pam and marie were her sisters and yes i used to go to play centre

do you remember bob holmes,david holmes ,roy kitcherman

,linda fletcher

Edited by crookes sid

Hello David T,

I too was at Springfield School and Miss Hall was my teacher - a very intimidating person who had the face of a bulldog chewing a wasp. she use to play the piano and had the boys and girls in our class dancing in the lower hall pretending to be tree's swaying in the wind.

I remember Judith Hoodless although she was a little older than me, her younger sister Janet was in my class. One of the names you mentioned: Steve Marshall - did he have a younger brother called Peter, if Yes, then I knew his brother well.

John,

You are right, Stephen Marshall's brother was Peter. The lived on Broomspring Lane, just above Hanover Methodist church.