Oborne Street Pitsmoor

The "Oborne Street" on the google map is or was actually Railway Street. Oborne Street ran from Marcus Street. (no longer on the map) down to Railway Street. (marked oborne Street on the map) Marcus Street ran between Rock Street and Brunswick Road. The latter also known locally as "Champs Hill"

You are spot on with that I lived on Fitzalan St

He was born in 28, Ramsdens yard Spital Street 1871.

Hi pitsmoorboy

Would that be Number 28 S.S I lived at Number 48/ 28 would be just over brunswick road looking down to Spital Hill, yes i think i know the yard.

kidley

Hi pitsmoorboy

Would that be Number 28 S.S I lived at Number 48/ 28 would be just over brunswick road looking down to Spital Hill, yes i think i know the yard.

kidley

I believe Ramsdens yard was approx halfway between where Handley St. starts on Spital St. just below the "Merry Heart" and where it comes back out again opposite Spital Lane. Hope this is clear enough.

I believe Ramsdens yard was approx halfway between where Handley St. starts on Spital St. just below the "Merry Heart" and where it comes back out again opposite Spital Lane. Hope this is clear enough.

Clear as a bell pitsmoorboy, thanks for your explanation of where 28 was. We lived next to Ken Green butchers so 28 would have been nine houses down Spital Street past Brunswick Road. If i remember there was a little lane on the lefthand side near the top cant remember the name of it, ile see if i cant look it up, thanks again pitsmoorboy.

Clear as a bell pitsmoorboy, thanks for your explanation of where 28 was. We lived next to Ken Green butchers so 28 would have been nine houses down Spital Street past Brunswick Road. If i remember there was a little lane on the lefthand side near the top cant remember the name of it, ile see if i cant look it up, thanks again pitsmoorboy.

Hi Kidley, what years did you live next to Ken Green's butchers ? I know that area very well I used to live below the "Merry Heart" 104 Brunswick Rd. I think the little lane was call Bramber place or lane, not sure now..

Hi,

At the bottom of Oborne Street: where it joined Railway Street and behind the infamous high stone wall, was an abandoned building with a tail red-brick chimney. Does anybody remember it? It was almost impossible to gain entry from the street side but dead easy from the railway side. That is, so long as the railway police didn't catch you.

What every equipment had been in there was long-gone by the 1940s, when I visited, but the foundations suggested it may have housed two (longish) boilers and quite a bit of machinery. Nobody local seemed to know much about it but a family friend told me it had powered the cranes and other machinery in the Bridgehouses goods yard across the way.

In the 1840's when the yard was built, the electrical industry was in its infancy so the only other option would have been to use hydraulic power to operate the cranes, hoists and everything else. This would come from the equipment in the building on Oborne street.

Does anybody know if this is what happened?

Regards

Edited by Falls

Hi Kidley, what years did you live next to Ken Green's butchers ? I know that area very well I used to live below the "Merry Heart" 104 Brunswick Rd. I think the little lane was call Bramber place or lane, not sure now..

Hi Pitsmoorboy

I lived there from 1946 to 1964, our back door was in between the butchers and the barbers, but we always used the first entry on the left hand side of Nottingham Street

Ken Green was my uncle. My mum used to send me to his shop on the bus most Saturday mornings to collect our meat. His wife Elsie (my Auntie) also worked in the shop. She is still with us. She turned 102 a couple of months ago.

Hi Pitsmoorboy

I lived there from 1946 to 1964, our back door was in between the butchers and the barbers, but we always used the first entry on the left hand side of Nottingham Street

Hi kidley, you will know the Banister's and the Buck's I am sure..

Does anyone know any of these tykes.http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u02280&pos=452&action=zoom&id=37563