St. John Fisher School in the 1960's

Hi Folks

I was there 1965-1969, left at 15.

I can recall some of the names mentioned on this thread, seems like yesterday..

I play golf with Joe Lyons (geography teacher) a few times a year, who would have thought it!

Hello to everyone returned to St john fishers last week for the first time in fifty years,my grandsons football team trains in the gym. The place just looks the same inside as when i left. I got talking to one of the fire staff who told me of this forum. i also had a look around, the chapel is still in the hall but it is used for storage now, talk about going back in time.

Does anyone here remember John Kennedy. I think he left St John Fisher in 1968 or 1969 - went to the Technical College. Alan

On 10/04/2018 at 21:55, ahodge said:

Does anyone here remember John Kennedy. I think he left St John Fisher in 1968 or 1969 - went to the Technical College. Alan

Hello Alan

Mike BRADSHAW here - someone mentioned you were a lawyer in the US?

I do remember John and also Neil Hollingsworth. In fact I regularly correspond with Neil via email. He lives in Vancouver and in 2009 my wife and I spent a day with him and his wife before embarking on an Alaskan cruise. He retired a few years ago and is enjoying life.

John passed an exam to go to the City Technical college didn’t he? I also passed that exam, but rather foolishly decided to stay at St John Fisher because I thought that I would have a better chance of making the Sheffield Boys U15 football team. It so happened that I became captain of the team and then went on to join Sheffield United. It would have been the same outcome had I moved to Central Tech - never mind!

If you read this post and want the email address for Neil, then I am sure that he would like to hear from you.

Best Wishes

Mike

On 02/11/2010 at 23:01, jimmi68 said:

Hi there, I was at St John Fisher, Woodhouse from the opening till 1968.. anyone there from that time??..

Cheers

Jim Doherty

Hi Jim

i remember you, I also started on the first day and left in 1967, You was a year behindJim Davidson was our form teacher in the first year having come to SJF from St Joes Handsworth

other teachers were mt farrel (maths] Walsh  (science, Pearson ( woodwork, Lunt (Art

sister Bernard (french, Danson(sport, head was Campbell and deputy head was a short bloke called O’Hara

On 18/01/2019 at 19:42, MikeBradshaw said:

Hello Alan

Mike BRADSHAW here - someone mentioned you were a lawyer in the US?

I do remember John and also Neil Hollingsworth. In fact I regularly correspond with Neil via email. He lives in Vancouver and in 2009 my wife and I spent a day with him and his wife before embarking on an Alaskan cruise. He retired a few years ago and is enjoying life.

John passed an exam to go to the City Technical college didn’t he? I also passed that exam, but rather foolishly decided to stay at St John Fisher because I thought that I would have a better chance of making the Sheffield Boys U15 football team. It so happened that I became captain of the team and then went on to join Sheffield United. It would have been the same outcome had I moved to Central Tech - never mind!

If you read this post and want the email address for Neil, then I am sure that he would like to hear from you.

Best Wishes

Mike

Hi Mike 

l think John Kennedy was the caretakers son

best wishes

john

I was at st john fishers and played football with you and neil  and jimmy  good times

Hi Folks,

Not written on here before. My name is Mick Wood, i was at SJF  from 1965 to 1970 my clas number i cant remember, but i was in class with Martin Horan, Peter Jackson, Martin Maloney, Paul Ashton, Marie McKay, Catherine Cashel, Mary Jackson. Etc.

Does anyone remember the school trip to Jersey? 

Hi Folks,

Not written on here before. My name is Mick Wood, i was at SJF  from 1965 to 1970 my clas number i cant remember, but i was in class with Martin Horan, Peter Jackson, Martin Maloney, Paul Ashton, Marie McKay, Catherine Cashel, Mary Jackson. Etc.

Does anyone remember the school trip to Jersey? 

I just realised that there were 2 Mick Woods at SJF i was the taller one and lived in stradbroke. I was a good mate of Billy Ellis.

Does any one remember the student english teacher Kate O'Brien? A najor distraction for a teenage boy...loll

Hi all,

Can anybody shed light on our times at the above school...my memory is vague !

I'm writing my autobiography and I want to input as much about my formative years as possible in Sheffield?

until or family.

I was born in Crookes Sheffield and lived on Damer Street next to the Children's Hospital until I was 3 years of age, and then lived at number 153 Fretson Road, Lower Manor until I was 18 as I joined the A

rmy and retired after 22 years at the age of 40.

Hi  Everybody

I left St John Fisher school at 15 years of age in 67 but cannot remember any students at the time and only a handful of teachers... can you help me?

Be appreciated as I'm writing my memoirs :)

I live in China at present.

At the time I was a very quiet kid and always wagged it with my sister Marie Glennon.

I've read al the posts so  that saved me a job of waiting for replies !! :)

On 04/11/2010 at 02:54, jimmi68 said:

Hi Philip, I attended the school from the opening till 1968..I was 15 when I left.. My name is James Doherty now 57 years old ..I played football for the first 11 and went on to play for Sheffield Unt for a few years.. I remember Mr Davidson but for the life of me cant remember any other teachers..Hope alls well with you..

Hi I'm asking for my work friend, as she is always talking about her school memories she is called Valerie (Val) long she attended this school and remembers the teachers and pupils.. She had blonde curly hair. please can anyone help me I would love to surprise her with this, thankyou. I think she said she left St John Fisher's in 69 .. She also went to St Thereses Catholic primary school. 

Edited by BJl