Does anyone remember Dolphin Street?

...I tried to look on Google earth to find were all the old streets were but it was confusing.
This old map shows Dolphin Street (arrowed) and the streets nearby..:)

Hi/Jacklad.

Yes I can remember playing football ,between Trowbridges and the garages opposite the off licence , I think it was on the corner of Cottingham St and I'm not sure was it Worthing road or something like that.

Were have all the years gone.

We used to play football till dark were you could hardly see the ball.

I tried to look on Google earth to find were all the old streets were but it was confusing.

Mick look on your page on forum @Hillrbro post great map showing all the streets including Dolphin street cheers Jack

Hi/hillsbro

Thanks for the old map which shows Dolphin Street.

It must be really old because it does not show the houses on Cottingham street at the bottom end near Woodbourn road school and Staniforth road is not shown. How old is the map.

Hi/hillsbro Thanks for the old map which shows Dolphin Street.... How old is the map.
Hi wednesday115 - sorry about the late reply; we're just back from a few days away. The map (here's a scan) is dated July 1900. It shows the city from the Workhouse (now part of the Northern General Hospital) in the north to Meersbrook Park in the south, and west-to-east from Crosspool to Darnall. It was published by Kelly's Directories and sold at Loxley's in Fargate (you have to be old to remember this shop)..:(

Does anyone know in which year Pinfold Lane was renamed Staniforth Road?

Incidentally, there is an error on the map. Fearnehough Street is wrongly labelled as Fearnecough Street. The Staniforth Road end of this street still exists but no longer has a nameplate.

Does anyone know in which year Pinfold Lane was renamed Staniforth Road?...
It was only the lower part of Staniforth Road (about as far as the bridge over the railway) that was named Pinfold Lane. There is a note in the 1905 directory stating "Pinfold Lane - now numbered in Staniforth Road" so it seems that the change took place shortly before then. The bridge over the canal is labelled "Pinfold Bridge" on a map of 1914.

It was only the lower part of Staniforth Road (about as far as the bridge over the railway) that was named Pinfold Lane. There is a note in the 1905 directory stating "Pinfold Lane - now numbered in Staniforth Road" so it seems that the change took place shortly before then. The bridge over the canal is labelled "Pinfold Bridge" on a map of 1914.

Hi.

I can't remember another called Berlin street which is were we played football.

Was it always called that or did that also get a name change.

Hi. I can't remember another called Berlin street which is were we played football. Was it always called that or did that also get a name change.
Well spotted, wednesday115 - it was renamed Arras Street some time between 1911 (census return) and 1924 (Kelly's Directory). I imagine that the anti-German feeling during the First World War led to Berlin Street being renamed after the Battle of Arras.

Well spotted, wednesday115 - it was renamed Arras Street some time between 1911 (census return) and 1924 (Kelly's Directory). I imagine that the anti-German feeling during the First World War led to Berlin Street being renamed after the Battle of Arras.

Thanks Hillsbro.

I remember it now , I thought I couldn't recall Berlin street.

It as been such a long time since I lived in Sheffield.

I now live up in County Durham and you forget some of the streets and also some of the faces and it's great to hear somethings from the past.

It's still called Pinfold Bridge. If you look on StreetView you can just make out the name on the oval plate on the bridge parapet. The one on the east side is clearest.

It's still called Pinfold Bridge...
That's interesting - I have a number of 20th century maps but none of them names the bridge except the one of 1914. I wonder how many people use the name nowadays. A little Googling brought up this photo. I imagine the pinfold for Attercliff-cum-Darnall township must have been in the area.

Hi everyone Not sure if this thread is still active. I am June Elliott, was Gamble, my mum is Jean Gamble, dad was Eric, and I have a younger sister Sharan. I remember Auntie Rene and Uncle Alf, Jonathan and Derrick; Auntie Daphne and Uncle Don, Edwina, Ruby and Donny; Mrs Leary and John; Stan; Lesley Etchers (my best friend of the time apparently) and know the name Raymond Lavender. Just discovered all this, so interesting. June x