Rental property whose insurance for leaking boiler

L may not even have a contents policy... Certainly not to cover the T's property.

Yes, but the claim should be against the block insurance policy for the whole property.

Landlord is responsible for the boiler getting repaired and carpet if he fitted it..

Can I just ask was the holiday longer then a week?

If it was then I would have switched the water off at the stopcock as a precaution.

If ever I'm away for over a week I turn off the water and I also tell my tennants to do the same just in case a leak happens.

The op never did say how long they were on holiday for.

If it was for over a week then me personally I would say they should have shut the water off at the stop tap before leaving and should foot the bill for their own damages against their own insurance.

Real answer: the landlord has to fix the leak, and any claim for damage which it caused is against L's policy (irrespective of whether the claim is made by L or T).

It doesn't appear anyone is listening Jeffrey. :o

Yes, but the claim should be against the block insurance policy for the whole property.

The what now?

I've never heard of a block insurance property, and I was a landlord for a while.

---------- Post added 16-10-2017 at 20:24 ----------

It doesn't appear anyone is listening Jeffrey. :o

Just because Jeffery shares an opinion doesn't mean it has to be accepted without question.

He's not explained why the landlord is responsible for unforeseeable damage, assuming that the carpet is owned by the OP (as was never clarified).

The what now?

I've never heard of a block insurance property, and I was a landlord for a while.

---------- Post added 16-10-2017 at 20:24 ----------

Just because Jeffery shares an opinion doesn't mean it has to be accepted without question.

He's not explained why the landlord is responsible for unforeseeable damage, assuming that the carpet is owned by the OP (as was never clarified).

You are confusing opinion with fact, knowledge and experience that he has. I’m not a landlord but I do own an annexe property and have been through the complications of who can insure what with regard to the shell and contents. In addition to the scenario with the property abroad I mentioned earlier.

And I'd be more than happy for Jeffery to explain why he's made the statement he has, with regards to tenancy and contract law I'd guess.