Who is highest ranking taekwondo person in south yorkshire

hi all this looks to be a good forum.

im a taekwondo enthusiast in the south yorkshire area. i know many 5th and 6th dans. but i am wondering who the highest ranking taekwondo master is in the yorkshire and humber region of the UK.

any ideas?

My guess would be Andy Hill but wouldn't put money on it:thumbsup:

what grade is andy hill and where does he train?

if you mean andy hill pilsung tkd, i think he is a 6th dan, so it wont be him. i know a 7th dan in this area.

i was told there is a korean master in sheffield who is an 8th or 9th dan but i cant find anything about him on the internet.

At WTF/KUKKIWON Style Taekwondo the ones I know

Andy Hill Sheffield 6th Dan

Mike McKenzie Rotherham 6th Dan

Kathy Hook 6th Dan Doncaster

Gary Sykes 6th Dan Doncaster

These are all registered at Kukkiwon.

There are other Independant "WTF Style" who also hold high grades.

Not heard of any Korean Grandmasters, however GM Frederick Lee (Lee Chee Kin) used to/still does? reside in Doncaster who is 9th Dan Chungdokwan and 8th Dan Kukkiwon so I guess he is the Highest in the area.

Other Notable Masters in the UK

GM Tony Vohra 8th Dan Kukkiwon (Class 1 Kukkiwon Instructor) Nottingham

GM T W Shin 8th Dan Kukkiwon Manchester.

I think however South Yorkshire Taekwondo as a whole owes a lot to GM Tony Quigley 7th dan who set up the first Taekwondo schools in Doncaster in 1968. If you trace most of the current Taekwondo masters lineage it will link back to him.

http://www.oxmartialarts.talktalk.net/Master%20Tony%20Quigley.pdf

See the article from a seventies Karate and Oriental Arts magazine.

Edited by ox ma
added extra info

thanks all for the input. does anyone know any high ranking taekwondo-ists from independent clubs?

thanks all for the input. does anyone know any high ranking taekwondo-ists from independent clubs?

Master Paul Jessop who is a 5th dan and Master Jamie Griffiths who is a 4th Dan.

The Taekwonmudo Kim Yong Ho's style has Dave Sutherhill of Doncaster he is a 7th dan.

He is a great technician who has been doing Taekwondo since the seventies.

Grandmaster Malcolm Siddall is an 8th Dan from the MST Academy

malc siddall an 8th dan?? blimey. he's got that quickly.

i didnt realise Jamie Griffiths was a 4th dan, i thought he was still a 3rd dan.

whats taekwonmudo?

what about Ji-Pyo Lim (i think thats his surname). he did a seminar at Mike McKenzies club. is he a south yorkshire man?

thanks all. this is really interesting. its difficult to quantify that there are people who are higher grades than the person who brought Taekwondo to South Yorkshire.

I graded for 1st Dan in March 1990, Master Sidall was also grading for his 1st dan at the BTA grading on the same day. The examiners were Master Fred Lee at the time 7th Dan and Master Tony Quigley also 7th dan at the time.

Jamie Griffiths is a 3rd dan he will be taking his 4th this year.

Ji-Pyo Lim is a 5th dan I think not sure if he lives in South Yorks???

Taekwonmudo translated means Foot Fist Martial Art and is GM Kim Yong Ho 9th dan variation of Taekwondo it has its own unique patterns called Pal Jung Do instead of the Taeguek Patterns.

I graded for 1st Dan in March 1990, Master Sidall was also grading for his 1st dan at the BTA grading on the same day. The examiners were Master Fred Lee at the time 7th Dan and Master Tony Quigley also 7th dan at the time.

Jamie Griffiths is a 3rd dan he will be taking his 4th this year.

Ji-Pyo Lim is a 5th dan I think not sure if he lives in South Yorks???

Taekwonmudo translated means Foot Fist Martial Art and is GM Kim Yong Ho 9th dan variation of Taekwondo it has its own unique patterns called Pal Jung Do instead of the Taeguek Patterns.

Apologies my mistake RE: Jamie Griffiths. I should know better myself having known Jamie personally.

RE: Malcome Siddall being an 8th dan, let me see,

1st Dan in 1990, then now hes an 8th Dan 19 years later. Does that mean that you could be an 8th Dan yourself Paul? Or is Master Malcolm Siddall one of those super invincible ninja master types that can reduce concrete to dust and take on 20 people all the same time while making Bruce Lee , Jackie Chan and Amitabh Bachchan look like ordinary people?