Forummers at Virgin Active?

Well well well, Miss Caprice has just re-joined Virgin Active after a stint of laziness and general skintness :hihi:

I know theres a million and one threads about Virgin, but I don't have forever and a day to read them all... So if you're a forummer that uses this club, let me know here! :thumbsup:

What classes do people reccommend? I never really went to any other than the aerobics one last time I went... I'm more than acquainted with the spa and pool area however :hihi:

I'm vaguely thinking of rejoining for the summer. Is there a waiting list, do you know, or could I walk in on the day I wanted to start?

Well I just walked in this morning and joined straight away... Doesnt appear to be a waiting list...

how much is it per month? and whats the joining fee?

Well I've got student membership which is £35 a month, unrestricted access... I think its £47 a month normally... Joining fee is £50, but I fluttered my eyelashes and it was waived... :D

Well I've got student membership which is £35 a month, unrestricted access... I think its £47 a month normally... Joining fee is £50, but I fluttered my eyelashes and it was waived... :D

I was charged a fiver joining fee. You must have sexier eyelashes :)

Just joined. Mainly do a bit of gym work and swimming in the mornings on me way into work.

Haven't tried the classses but might be persuaded by a good recommendation.

don't you feel bad that by joining Virgin Active you are just making Virgin shareholders richer and richer? Very little money is reinvested back in the facilities.

Why don't you join the gym at a local sports club. That way all money they make is reinvested back in the club, supporting kids sports etc. Fair enough most sports club don't have spas, but the network of kids facilities and coaching opportunities beats any private gym hands down.

Support your local clubs. Everyone moans that we don't do well at sport, we need to start supporting our grass roots.

don't you feel bad that by joining Virgin Active you are just making Virgin shareholders richer and richer? Very little money is reinvested back in the facilities.

Why don't you join the gym at a local sports club. That way all money they make is reinvested back in the club, supporting kids sports etc. Fair enough most sports club don't have spas, but the network of kids facilities and coaching opportunities beats any private gym hands down.

Support your local clubs. Everyone moans that we don't do well at sport, we need to start supporting our grass roots.

Thats the thing though, I don't even know where my local sports club is and whether or not it has all the facilities that I require... I use Virgin gym's beauty therapy rooms when I've got the money for facials/massage/nails etc so Virgin seemed like the obvious choice.

To be honest, No, I don't feel bad. Virgin is a successful company. The facilities, IMO, are the best I've seen in Sheffield so I don't know how you can say they don't invest cos they clearly do. If they didn't put capital into the facilities they wouldn't make money for their shareholders, which, is the role of a private company. Not sure how it's Virgin's fault that there's no inverstment in sport.

I used to go to Hillsborough Leisure Centre and it's woeful compared to Virgin.

I go to Virgin... very handy as its just down the road from me :)

Its great and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else, but I think its scandalous that they now charge extra for the new "Gravity" section of the gym.. I pay £40 a month so I want everything thrown in for nothing, whether its the latest fad in fitness or not!

I go to Virgin... very handy as its just down the road from me :)

Its great and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else, but I think its scandalous that they now charge extra for the new "Gravity" section of the gym.. I pay £40 a month so I want everything thrown in for nothing, whether its the latest fad in fitness or not!

What does the 'Gravity' section have to offer? Seems bizarre to pay extra for something that is free (as Mr Newton discovered)!

many years ago, private health clubs sprung up as an alternative to leisure centres, a posh private retreat people with some spare cash could go to. Clubs like Virgin Active though are just glorified leisure centres, and are sucking the life out of council run and local sports centres. Kids growing up these days have the impression that to keep fit they have to pay £50 a month to be a member of a club.