"Oooo Ahhhh.."??

Had to mention this as I thought it might bring a little smile to a few faces both sides of the fence as it's not just United related but Sheffield dialect related.

Been chatting to Orient supporters in the wake of our win at the lane on saturday when I was poised with the following question.

When your team are attacking why do the fans shout "oooo ahhh"?,

I didn't understand it at first, do you know what he's on about??

Anyway it must be a southern thing or just a silly moment from the poster but it turns out the poster was on about the infamous sheffield / yorkshire shout of "guuuuuuuw onnnnnn" or "go on" in the queens english.

They thought it was some sort of Yorkshire farmer thing or something, at first I thought it was some sort of attempt at a wind up but the poster was a genuine one and his question turned out to be a genuine one as well.

Don't most clubs should "GO ON"?

Is our accent that different that in choir it sounds like "oooooo ahhhhh" like a farmer or pirate? :hihi:

As a lad growing up on Gleadless Valley, we always said "Goo" for go, and "gooin" for going.

At football, we always shouted (and still do!) "goooerrrnn!" for go on! :hihi:

Does he mean from goal kicks? Ooooooh on build up to kick, and aaaaah after it?

Does he mean from goal kicks? Ooooooh on build up to kick, and aaaaah after it?

No mate definately when on the attack.

I can understand why it sounds like "oooo aaahhhh"

The pronunciation of the "g" and the "n" would be a bit difficult to hear coming from 20,000 people i would think.... hence why "goooowahhhhn" sounds like "oooowahhhh" to people darn sarf

(you might not agree with me putting "ahhhn" instead of "onnn" but if you say it as if you were at the match cheering the lads on, then the "o" suddenly turns into an "a") :hihi: