£100 million pledge to end rough sleeping by 2027

Won't even touch the sides helping 5000, let alone help 77000 in temporary accomodation. What do you think?

The money is to be targeted towards services for rough sleepers. Those already in temporary accommodation may not be in the best situation, but they are not on the streets. If this initiative can help rough sleepers with mental health issues, then its got to be worthwhile. Why knock it before we see what might be achieved?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/aug/11/100m-drive-to-end-rough-sleeping-in-england-by-2027

The money is to be targeted towards services for rough sleepers. Those already in temporary accommodation may not be in the best situation, but they are not on the streets. If this initiative can help rough sleepers with mental health issues, then its got to be worthwhile. Why knock it before we see what might be achieved?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/aug/11/100m-drive-to-end-rough-sleeping-in-england-by-2027

Because they knocked £3 billion off social services budget and continue to cut. £100 million over 10 years is a joke amount & won't fix the wider problems.

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 10:00 ----------

Welfare budget too. Unless all this is reinstated homelessness increases.

Welfare budget too. Unless all this is reinstated homelessness increases.

exactly, its ok chucking a few million at the outcome, but its the causes that need changing too, its inherent in our system, especially id say with the tories.

Housing

Welfare

Health services

Employment

Youth services

etc etc all need changing vastly so people dont become homeless, or live teetering on the brink.

When i was recently unemployed (for 7 months) it was a nightmare, i was teettering on the brink of not being able to pay bills let alone rent. Luckilly i have sense, family, friends, so i managed to survive.

100 million is a pittance for a problem of this scale.

It won't make any difference at all and most of it will be sucked up managing the money.

100 million is a pittance for a problem of this scale.

It won't make any difference at all and most of it will be sucked up managing the money.

Works out at 2 grand per year per person over 10 years, that's if homelessness numbers stay stable. Lol!

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 10:24 ----------

exactly, its ok chucking a few million at the outcome, but its the causes that need changing too, its inherent in our system, especially id say with the tories.

Housing

Welfare

Health services

Employment

Youth services

etc etc all need changing vastly so people dont become homeless, or live teetering on the brink.

When i was recently unemployed (for 7 months) it was a nightmare, i was teettering on the brink of not being able to pay bills let alone rent. Luckilly i have sense, family, friends, so i managed to survive.

We need to invest billions into those areas mate. I'm not against investment for homeless but object to tory think tanks wasting £100 mil public money trying to win votes.

Works out at 2 grand per year per person over 10 years, that's if homelessness numbers stay stable. Lol!

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 10:24 ----------

We need to invest billions into those areas mate. I'm not against investment for homeless but object to tory think tanks wasting £100 mil public money trying to win votes.

exactly, the tories are the ones creating a lot of the causes of why people become homeless, like their austerity, which took a lot from the poorest in society and made hard lives even harder.

Then you have universal credit, where you may have to wait 8 weeks? to start getting paid, how do you pay rent for 2 months without the means to pay it? even if you have a landlord whos sympathetic or friends / family who lend you money to live on youre then in debt.

Then theres sanctions which are a lot more commonplace, the fit for work tests which is a shambles.

yet they say we will get rid of homelessness by throwing a wad of cash at it :suspect:

Like you say its to win votes

Well the government allocating £100 milion makes a good headline, doesn't it, but fails to address the causes of homelessness.

Not surprising, when you realise that the Conservatives and their 'austerity' cuts are the main cause of homelessness in the first place.

They really do think we're stupid if we can't work that out.

The sooner we get rid of this iniquitous government the better.

Edited by Anna B

Well the government allocating £100 milion makes a good headline, doesn't it, but fails to address the causes of homelessness.

Not surprising, when you realise that the Conservatives and their 'austerity' cuts are the main cause of homelessness in the first place.

No thanks as the alternative is far worse.

The government has guaranteed my livelihood for the rest of my working career for the next 30 years.

Won't even touch the sides helping 5000, let alone help 77000 in temporary accomodation. What do you think?

Turns out that this isn't 'new money', it was all entirely budgeted for and planned already, so does nothing to alter the massive cuts already made.

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 16:31 ----------

Lets hope now the Government is involved some action is taken

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45162892

As if the government haven't been involved all along. Principaly in creating the problem.

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 16:32 ----------

The government has guaranteed my livelihood for the rest of my working career for the next 30 years.

A very selfish attitude.

Dunno if the alternative will work, tend to agree this government has no clue.

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 16:39 ----------

No thanks as the alternative is far worse.

Remains to be seen. I believe Labour want to do better things.