Energy prices up twice in a year?

And cap on vulnerable people increased... British gas raise prices, thoughts?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45111743

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 11:56 ----------

Firstly, raising prices twice, is that allowed?

Second, i thought a cap was a cap??

British Gas is to increase prices for 3.5 million customers, its parent company Centrica has announced.

The 3.8% increase in its standard variable tariff (SVT) from 1 October means the average bill will rise by £44, taking it to £1,205 a year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45111743

Edited by iansheff

Just switch to a different provider, it's easy.

Lock yourself in for 1/2 years, or just get a tariff with no exit fees.

They'll all raise soon enough, the pound is still relatively weak and wholesale prices are on the up.

Just switch to a different provider, it's easy.

Lock yourself in for 1/2 years, or just get a tariff with no exit fees.

I am tied in I changed earlier this year SP wanted another £30 a month. They rang to ask why I was changing, I said because it is £30 a month cheaper, he said how can they do that? As if I know or care how they do it all I know it will save me about £360 a year.

They'll all raise soon enough, the pound is still relatively weak and wholesale prices are on the up.

Does this mean Vlad can continue to murder British citizens with impunity, else he’ll turn off the gas ?

I am tied in I changed earlier this year SP wanted another £30 a month. They rang to ask why I was changing, I said because it is £30 a month cheaper, he said how can they do that? As if I know or care how they do it all I know it will save me about £360 a year.

It may have been that you would have been £180 in credit with SP and £180 in debt with your new supplier.

If only they all charged in just £ per kwh with no standing charge, so we could compare.

Apparently there are over 50 different energy suppliers in the UK. Just have a look on the Internet & decide which is the best for you.

Apparently there are over 50 different energy suppliers in the UK. Just have a look on the Internet & decide which is the best for you.

Which would be easy if they were all forced to show their prices per KW of energy, or some single price point. Instead we have a myriad of prices per KW on a weekend, different on a Tuesday, fixed rate, variable rate etc etc.

Make them tell us how much per kw they charge, then everyone will swap to the lowest then the others will have to drop prices to compete.

Until there is a proper price comparison the market will not work.

Well the big 6 generally operate along the lines of a cartel. One ups their price & the others follow suit, just like many other companies in other business sectors.

At the end of the day, if as consumers we got our act together, could force down prices by sheer volume of numbers. With a bit of organisation, we could all switch to one particular company, be it for gas, electricity, petrol, food shopping etc, until the other companies either face the alternative of a drop in profits or reducing their prices.

Bulb energy seems to be the way to go. I joined them earlier this year.

Got a £50 discount code for anyone wanting to join.

PM me if you want one sending.

I’ve just changed to bulb got an email yesterday saying they won’t increase prices yet and will give plenty of notice before they do . With no exit fees well worth looking at ,just wish they did a fixed one . Their standing charge is a lot higher than the big companies but energy prices are lower . Swings and roundabouts .