IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum

Cycle Lane past station

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

10-08-2018, 20:37   #81
Resident

Total Posts: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Here?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.38...7i13312!8i6656

---------- Post added 10-08-2018 at 19:28 ----------

Is that why it tells pedestrians not to step out from behind parked vehicles into the path of oncoming traffic? Perhaps "right of way" can't alter the laws of physics?
Quote:
Audrey Wixon: a DSA ADI; DIAmond, IAM and RoSPA Gold Advanced Driver; Fleet Trainer; Observer for Institute of Advanced Motorists; & National Standard cycling instructor:

"Bus drivers are trained to be aware that other road users might try to overtake them unsafely and often leave their right indicators flashing while waiting in queues, to encourage traffic to stay behind - so pay attention to their signals.

If you decide to overtake, then do so slowly because passengers often get off buses and then cross the road immediately in front of them because the door is at the front."
I knew you'd come back with more banal and irrelevant quotes.

Here's one to mull over, take note of the qualifications of the person I quoted, I highlighted one for you.
_______
As a child I had an imaginary friend, then I grew up and stopped going to church.
10-08-2018, 20:48   #82
Cyclone

Total Posts: 72,004
What was the quote then?

So, cycling instructor acknowledges that it's okay to pass buses... Great.

You're determined that it's going to be the fault of the cyclist that a pedestrian walked in front of them aren't you...

---------- Post added 10-08-2018 at 20:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkin View Post
A few years ago, my other half was thumped by a bike coming out of nowhere at Fargate - he was crossing the road, the cyclist tore round a bus that had pulled in to pick up passengers further down (outside what used to be Virgin) and we had checked the road to make sure it was safe to cross. The cyclist hit my other half full on - he must have been going at a fair old speed round that bus. He stopped only briefly then shot off - good thing my other half was only shook up, couldve easily broken his wrists when he fell forward.
"Tore round" "full on"... So cyclist was doing what, 20 - 30 mph, and yet neither cyclists nor pedestrian were actually injured...

Came out of nowhere I guess, road was clear, cycle must have decided to run into the pedestrians I guess after teleporting onto that bit of road... You know road, the thing vehicles are expected to be travelling on?
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
10-08-2018, 23:16   #83
Resident

Total Posts: 4,269
You really would argue black is blue if it meant favouring a cyclist.

Across several threads no less.

You're one of those entitled cyclists, one of those that won't admit fault.

Therefore your opinion on such further matters involving cyclists will be summarily dismissed. You have proven you cannot be objective.
_______
As a child I had an imaginary friend, then I grew up and stopped going to church.
11-08-2018, 08:01   #84
Cyclone

What was the quote then? Did you miss the question?

You really would argue that black was white if it meant you could blame a cyclist. Across several threads no less.

You're one of those arrogant drivers who thinks that cyclists shouldn't be on the road and so blames them for everything.

Therefore your opinion on such matters involving roads will summarily dismissed. You have proven you cannot be objective.
You've also proven that you can't actually make any reasonable argument and have thrown your toys out of the pram.
_______
11-08-2018, 16:04   #85
chakademus

Total Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyR View Post
what? that makes no sense. I use the road in my car for which I need a licence and have one. I use the road on my bike for which i don't need a licence.
Yes and that's the point. When you have a license you can call the shots on ur bike.

---------- Post added 11-08-2018 at 16:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Correct, nor should you.

You were concerned that some stretches of road were very busy. Banning motorists from those stretches would make them much less busy. Problem solved right.

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 12:04 ----------

I expect that we're all road users, as pedestrians, on public transport, on bikes, perhaps on horses, maybe on other things. The vast majority don't require a license, nor insurance. Only dangerous vehicles require both of those, so that's motorized vehicles. Everything else uses the road without restriction.
In the hierarchy of road users bicycles aren't top priority. The roads are primarily for motorized vehicles hence the speed limits etc.
11-08-2018, 23:52   #86
Bargepole23

Total Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakademus View Post
Yes and that's the point. When you have a license you can call the shots on ur bike.

---------- Post added 11-08-2018 at 16:07 ----------

In the hierarchy of road users bicycles aren't top priority. The roads are primarily for motorized vehicles hence the speed limits etc.
There is no hierarchy of road users, only in your head.

I'm just as entitled to use the roads on my bike as anyone else.

Last edited by Bargepole23; 12-08-2018 at 09:07.
12-08-2018, 15:48   #87
chakademus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargepole23 View Post
There is no hierarchy of road users, only in your head.

I'm just as entitled to use the roads on my bike as anyone else.
pedestrian>motorist>cyclist>arrogant cyclist.
12-08-2018, 16:52   #88
Bargepole23

Total Posts: 1,477
Quote:
pedestrian>motorist>cyclist>arrogant cyclist.
Why have you put motorist > cyclist? Do motorists pay more to use the roads?
12-08-2018, 17:04   #89
chakademus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargepole23 View Post
Why have you put motorist > cyclist? Do motorists pay more to use the roads?
Yes, motorists pay more.
12-08-2018, 21:50   #90
stifflersmom

Total Posts: 555
Quote:
Yes, motorists pay more.
This'll be good...I'm looking forward to the explanation. See if you can manage it without mentioning 'road tax'.
13-08-2018, 07:28   #91
Cyclone

Quote:
Yes, motorists pay more.
Why have you put Pedestrians>motorists then, that's certainly not down to the expensive pedestrian tax is it...

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 07:32 ----------

Quote:
The fact that to use a motorised vehicle you have to get a license and pay excise duty, that it's restricted in top speed and a whole host of other laws would rather suggest to me that the car is the lowest priority road vehicle.
Even buses and taxis get to do things that the average car can't.
Cycles and pedestrians however are clearly the highest priority, no need for a license, no VED, no MOT, no speed limits, dedicated lanes, they can even go where cars aren't allowed, bridleways and footpaths for example.
Parking is also free you know, and my cycle to work in 10 mins time won't cost me anything in fuel!
_______
13-08-2018, 16:23   #92
fill

Total Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by stifflersmom View Post
This'll be good...I'm looking forward to the explanation. See if you can manage it without mentioning 'road tax'.
you can call it what you want............. you can call a pig betty but its still a pig.

truth of the matter is most people will contine to call VED (thats Vehicle Excise Duty) road tax.

and do an internet search for road tax and you will be offered lots of suggestions using that exact phrase.

by opting to use a motorised vehicle on the public roads you incur taxes that rest of the population do not.

you still have to pay road tax on sucha vehicle for the time its not on the road, which is really extracting the urine

most motorised road users pay road tax and also very heavy taxes for their use of the fuel they need. pedalists are free loaders in that sense. there is no reasonable denial of that possible.

also many of the financial costs (if not all) of running a motor vehicle on the road include other taxes which are generally far higher than any taxes paid to the state by pedalists.
_______
If you don't ask you will never know. But having asked do not always expect either sense or the truth in all responses.
13-08-2018, 16:36   #93
Cyclone

Not entirely true is it. You can use a low emissions vehicle and it's zero rated for VED, much like cycles.
VED goes to central government of course, it's not hypothecated for road use, and anyway, like most cyclists I pay VED on a car that stays at home when I use my bike, so not only am I paying your 'tax', I'm also reducing congestion and pollution. I'd actually like a refund on my VED for everytime I choose to cycle.
Free loaders in the sense that they don't have to buy fuel or pay an excise duty for which they would be zero rated if not negatively rated. You couldn't make this stuff up, you're hilarious.
I do like how you finish with the implicit assumption that cyclists don't have cars, I have 2, I still have to pay VED, insurance, MOT, etc, I'm doing you a favour whenever I use my bike, you should be thanking me.
Oh, for what it's worth, cyclists on average pay a higher rate of tax than motorists...
_______
13-08-2018, 16:37   #94
ads36

Total Posts: 312
fill;

it's pretty simple, the roads are free to use.

even more than that, we all have a right to use them.

you're allowed to buy cars that have a VED charge of zero. are they also 'freeloaders' ...?
13-08-2018, 16:38   #95
the fonz

Total Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by fill View Post
you can call it what you want............. you can call a pig betty but its still a pig.

truth of the matter is most people will contine to call VED (thats Vehicle Excise Duty) road tax.

and do an internet search for road tax and you will be offered lots of suggestions using that exact phrase.

by opting to use a motorised vehicle on the public roads you incur taxes that rest of the population do not.

you still have to pay road tax on sucha vehicle for the time its not on the road, which is really extracting the urine

most motorised road users pay road tax and also very heavy taxes for their use of the fuel they need. pedalists are free loaders in that sense. there is no reasonable denial of that possible.

also many of the financial costs (if not all) of running a motor vehicle on the road include other taxes which are generally far higher than any taxes paid to the state by pedalists.
The glaring hole in this argument, which has been said over and over, is that the majority of cyclists also drive so pay VED anyway.

Perhaps it would help you if you thought of VED of a kind of congestion tax?
_______
You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist.
13-08-2018, 17:00   #96
fill

Total Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fonz View Post
The glaring hole in this argument, which has been said over and over, is that the majority of cyclists also drive so pay VED anyway.
that not going to work.... the hole in the argument is a hole in yours.

if i have a vehicle to use on the road i pay road tax whether its on the road or not and i have to do so for each vehicle i have no matter how many and that payment is for loads of time i'm not actually on the road with those vehicles

if you have a pedal cylcle regardless of how many other vehicles you have you dont pay road tax for a pedal cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fonz View Post
Perhaps it would help you if you thought of VED of a kind of congestion tax?
Now thats just silly..

why pay a congestion charge for each separate vehicle i own when i can only be out congesting with one vehicle at a time. ..
_______
If you don't ask you will never know. But having asked do not always expect either sense or the truth in all responses.
13-08-2018, 17:54   #97
Vasquez Rich

Total Posts: 485
It's a vehicle excise duty based on CO2 EMISSIONS....

Please come assess me for any emissions I make while cycling, even if I have had beans on toast for breakfast... although if they are CH4 they are not CO2.
13-08-2018, 19:04   #98
katkin

Total Posts: 5,913
(Sighs)
For what itís worth because Zi had all this crap the first time I raised it...

We werenít the only pedestrians crossing the road at the recognised road crossing on the day my other half was smacked into by the cyclist at Fargate. There were other pedestrians crossing in front of us as there usually are at that crossing point. Not just one or two.

The bus at the Virgin store bus stop further down ie not directly in front of us but far enough away for pedestrians to quite clearly see it was stationary did not obstruct our view of oncoming buses, vans, cars or (we thought) bikes. The cyclist would and should have had a very clear view of the road ahead in fact the curve in the road SHOULD have given oncoming traffic a very good view of where there were people crossing the road but somehow the cyclist failed to see them and failed to slow his speed or stop

But after hitting my partner (barely missing me and others crossing behind us) he rode off without bothering to check that Chris was ok
13-08-2018, 21:23   #99
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fill View Post
that not going to work.... the hole in the argument is a hole in yours.

if i have a vehicle to use on the road i pay road tax whether its on the road or not and i have to do so for each vehicle i have no matter how many and that payment is for loads of time i'm not actually on the road with those vehicles

if you have a pedal cylcle regardless of how many other vehicles you have you dont pay road tax for a pedal cycle.

Now thats just silly..

why pay a congestion charge for each separate vehicle i own when i can only be out congesting with one vehicle at a time. ..
It's already been pointed out at least twice that there are zero rated motor vehicles though. Are you just being a bit slow now?

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 21:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkin View Post
(Sighs)
For what itís worth because Zi had all this crap the first time I raised it...

We werenít the only pedestrians crossing the road at the recognised road crossing on the day my other half was smacked into by the cyclist at Fargate. There were other pedestrians crossing in front of us as there usually are at that crossing point. Not just one or two.

The bus at the Virgin store bus stop further down ie not directly in front of us but far enough away for pedestrians to quite clearly see it was stationary did not obstruct our view of oncoming buses, vans, cars or (we thought) bikes. The cyclist would and should have had a very clear view of the road ahead in fact the curve in the road SHOULD have given oncoming traffic a very good view of where there were people crossing the road but somehow the cyclist failed to see them and failed to slow his speed or stop

But after hitting my partner (barely missing me and others crossing behind us) he rode off without bothering to check that Chris was ok
Can you post a google street view of this recognised crossing, I just want to understand where it is.

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 21:32 ----------

I think you mean this bus stop.

But the buses are not in the carriageway...

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 21:33 ----------

And this is the closest crossing, but that's Leopold Street, not fargate. Fargate is pedestrianised so there are no crossings...

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 21:34 ----------

None of barkers pool, sydney street or pinstone street have a crossing. Although I have had pedestrians step out into the bike lane whilst I was travelling in it.

I'm going to speculate a little, but if you think the cyclist could see you, then that works both ways and you could see the cyclist... Right, that's how vision works?
_______

Last edited by Cyclone; 13-08-2018 at 21:35.
13-08-2018, 22:14   #100
The Moon

Total Posts: 113
Today around 4 ish there looked to be a lady cyclist face down on the road hit by a lorry at the Tesco at the Wicker. I hope she's ok.
Reply To Topic