'A' is for Anderson, Viv Anderson..

Right guys, to get a bit of debate/discussion started I'm going to pick a player a day (In alphabetical order by surname)

Viv Anderson

Signed by Atkinson and like Trevor Francis I thought 'here comes another journey man looking for a final pay day' (How wrong I was)

He came in and bolstered our defence at a time when we where wobbling in the promotion season, played both full back and centre half and chipped in with important goals (one against Portsmouth if I recall correctly)

Unfortunately he missed out on the League Cup victory due to being cup tied but played (and captained us) in the FA cup final (always remembered for having a heavily bandaged head) unfortunately he missed out on the replay due to the injury.

I always remember him being a great talker on the pitch (you could hear him from the back of the Kop) and though he lost a lot of pace, his reading of the game was spot on. He left us in 93 to become part of the management team with Danny Wilson at Barnsley and I think we struggled to replace him.

Please chip in with your own memory's of Anderson (or any player with a surname starting 'A') Blades or Owls.

When we brought in Agent Wilson from Barnsley to be Manager we brought in the wrong one . It should have been Viv, I have never seen a player organise a defence so well .He was always telling people where to go , who to mark, forever giving encouragement

Peter Anderson never heard of him till came to lane in 78, goal against sunderland best remembered for

A fantastic player and a great character, had played for some of the biggest clubs in the country and though he came to us late in his career he was very good on the ball and chipped in with a fair few goals.

Good to see him at Class of '91 a few weeks ago.

Top quality player Viv Anderson (even if his very best days were at other clubs).

My favourite 'A' player, and probably in my top 5 United players i've seen - Tony Agana.

He virtually came to the club with Dave Bassett, and alongside Deano provided some of the most exciting times watching United, as we won back to back promotions, and his pace and skill made us a very difficult team to stop, for a few years at least. He memorably scored twice in the legendary 5-2 win at Leicester that finally took us up, and appeared in that photo with the Bassett kiss :hihi:

Unfortunately he started to pick up niggly injuries, and the board sold him to Notts County for a club record fee - a week or so before the first league Sheffield derby in ages in November 1991 - it felt at the time like as devastating a departure as Deano's was on the same day as Fjortoft under Spackman.

If we had a striker anywhere near as good as he was in that special period of a couple of years, we wouldn't be struggling where we are...

I have to fish out of a very recent pool (since 2008/9 season) so it is initially pretty difficult as ABC is pretty limiting, certainly no superstars in this list:

First player of note, for me, was Mark Beevers, I generally prefer home-grown players over bought players and that is becoming harder and harder. But he stands out as a good academy product and those early years he was pretty good for us.

Second player of note is Barry :banana: Bannan. I was critical when he arrived, as I usually am, but he really impresses me out there. Excellent player.

Third player is Chris Brunt, I never got why people slagged him off at times, excellent winger with real talent, I suppose for some seeing a technical winger play confuses them. I have noticed similar on the North Stand with other attacking wing players we had.

Finally Michail Antonio, another winger but this time one that was fully embraced by everybody, probably thanks to his prolific nature.

So all in all, not a bad list after all :hihi:

If I have to choose one in particular I'll go with Brunty.

Forgot about Dalian Atkinson made a big impact in a short time, gutted when he left but he largely wasted his talent later on.

For B there was Mark Bright a great striker who was underappreciated in my view and we can't miss out Lee Bullen while not the best player a great servant who gave his all.

For the Blades we have Vas Borbokis; who .although he only played for us for a season was a player of real quality and he scored some screamig free kicks.

Also how can we forget the legend that is Bob Booker, not blessed with too much skill but god what a grafter.

B is for Blinker, Regi Blinker..

Regi Blinker

Signed from Feyenoord back in 1996, scored 2 cracking goals on his debut (a 3-2 defeat to Villa) and hen scored 1 more in his next 45 games.

Very tricky winger who's down fall was that he would beat his man but wouldn't cross the ball until he beat him another 3 times, then it usually went into the Kop lol

We sold him to Celtic in 1997 (as part of the Di canio transfer) At his time with the club his greatest contribution was selling 'Blinker' wigs in the club shop :hihi:

Other notable 'B's'

Bob Bolder-Keeper from the 1979/80 squad known as 'Dracula' to Unitedites :hihi: sold to Liverpool, never played a game but won 2 European cup winners medals!

Gary Bannister-My Hero at that time, formed a lethal strike partnership with Varadi that got us promoted to the 1st division-Left for QPR in 1984

Ian Bailey-Signed from Middlesbrough, Steady left back in the 82-83 season but broke his leg at Bolton (the game before the FA cup Semi against Brighton) we ended up with Pat Heard at left back and the rest is history :(

There,s knowone in my time who can equal the goalscoring record of centre forward David " BRONCO" Layne , left foot, right foot,or with his head it finished in the net. Fifty eight goals in eighty one games say,s it all. My boyhood hero.

There,s knowone in my time who can equal the goalscoring record of centre forward David " BRONCO" Layne , left foot, right foot,or with his head it finished in the net. Fifty eight goals in eighty one games say,s it all. My boyhood hero.

Bronco used to be the landlord of The Crown on Meadowhall Road when I was in my youth, a very interesting bloke with some cracking story's to tell!

Yes he did Speedy, i see him quite often collecting his paper on a sunday morning. He hates being called "Bronco"after the cowboy of the time. He sure was a handful.