Office 2016 becomes Office 365

Something strange happened when I tried to buy Office 2016 from Amazon. I paid for it and received the licence number and installed Office but it failed to work. So I contacted Amazon and didn't get a reply but suddenly I discovered that I now had Office 365 as well so I started using the Word from it. I wasn't asked to pay for Office 365 so is it likely I'll be asked to pay later? Doesn't sound likely to me as Amazon doesn't usually send anything until it's been paid for, does it? Is Office 365 better than Office 2016?

office 365 is the new version, its a yearly subscription thing if i remember right, so you havent actually "bought" it

Thanks Melthebell. Makes sense. I'll get back to Amazon and find out what they're playing at.

Edited by woolyhead

You need to remember you don't buy any software from Microsoft, you are just paying for a licence to run the software on your machine - you will never own it, unlike LibreOffice where you actually own your copy.

They have only changed the name I'm sure you can still purchase it outright

They have only changed the name I'm sure you can still purchase it outright

nah, im not 100% sure but i remember mi missus "buying" it and then moaning as she had to keep paying yearly

just found the following on a quick google

The outright purchase model is the traditional way of buying previous versions of Microsoft Office (2013, 2011, 2010, 2007, 2003 etc). ... If you wish to purchase Office 2016 or Office 365, you will need to pay outright for Office 2016 or per month or year for Office 365.20 Jan 2018

More, bye bye M$ hello L*nux

More, bye bye M$ hello L*nux

Er hem! GNU/L*nux - no GNU no L*nux!

Er hem! GNU/L*nux - no GNU no L*nux!

Most people aren't that pedantic about it.

In the context of this thread, it's more bye bye Microsoft Office, hello LibreOffice.

For any MS Office users worried about what Microsoft is doing with their charging model, LibreOffice is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux so you can try it now before you're faced with Microsoft forcing you to upgrade to a subscription based version.

People are seriously that cheap that £10 is too expensive for an Office 2016 Pro license and would rather use an inferior suite.

Each to their own I guess.

People are seriously that cheap that £10 is too expensive for an Office 2016 Pro license and would rather use an inferior suite.

Each to their own I guess.

Office 2016 Pro doesn't cost £10 - not everybody can get special deals because their employer uses it. Besides which, it's primarily about control not cost.