What type of job would suit this skill set??

Hello,

My 15 year old son is very nervous about growing up and the expectations that are associated with his age, he’s autistic but a bright lad. Because of barriers, he hasn’t been entered for GCSE’s yet.

We need to look at colleges etc and start thinking about possible career pathways that suit his skill set.

He has just learned around 70 algorithms for his Rubik’s cube and studies algorithms for his different cubes with passion and intensity.

Is this a transferable skill? What do you think we could look at with him in terms of courses. What happens if he has no or low GCSE’s? It doesn’t reflect his ability as he is so bright. But it might stop his chances.

He’s so deserving of a chance. But I don’t know where to start.

Any advice will be welcomed. Thank you.

Computer science, if he fails gcse have him do a IQ test, would probably score high and will look good on a CV

This is a very valid and helpful comment, thank you.

He was assessed as having a cognition in the high average range as part of some assessments. His range is from low to incredibly high in some areas.

It is not true that the disabled go into the general job pool. Companies have a legal requirement to have a percentage of disabled on the payroll. To achieve this requirement some companies will take on and train employees who are disabled.

Something like computer programming could be a good fit, it involves a lot of problem solving / logical thinking.

I wonder if a supported internship in this area would help him get future employment without actual grades? (Alternative IQ assessment is a great idea!)

He may get average English and Maths, but he can do these at his own pace.

Thanks for your help.

Companies have a legal requirement to have a percentage of disabled on the payroll.

I’m afraid you are wrong about that.

Computer science, if he fails gcse have him do a IQ test, would probably score high and will look good on a CV

You know IQ test marks aren't worth the paper they are written on right?

We have established educational qualifications for a reason.

That’s all very well if you can fully access education.

I believe what you say is subjective. I’m sure many would agree but also it’s it’s good to think outside the box. A unique skill set can be a great attribute to a company. Lots of assessments are not based on just getting an IQ result but highlight some amazing qualities that a GCSE certificate can’t.

It is not true that the disabled go into the general job pool. Companies have a legal requirement to have a percentage of disabled on the payroll. To achieve this requirement some companies will take on and train employees who are disabled.

Tell me which legislation you are talking about. I am not going to let people talk rubbish get away with misinformation.

---------- Post added 31-05-2018 at 23:46 ----------

That’s all very well if you can fully access education.

I believe what you say is subjective. I’m sure many would agree but also it’s it’s good to think outside the box. A unique skill set can be a great attribute to a company. Lots of assessments are not based on just getting an IQ result but highlight some amazing qualities that a GCSE certificate can’t.

We have psychometric testing for that.

You know IQ test marks aren't worth the paper they are written on right?

We have established educational qualifications for a reason.

So you're telling me a mensa IQ test means nothing, what if he scored high enough to get into mensa? Do you not think that would stand out?

So you're telling me a mensa IQ test means nothing, what if he scored high enough to get into mensa? Do you not think that would stand out?

Yes, because a Mensa score is a requirement nowadays......:loopy:

Edited by ez8004