HELP we need to find someone to paint our Citroen HY van.

Hey hopefully someone can help me find someone to paint our beautiful van.

The previous owner hand-painted it and she needs a bit of love. Apparently we need to soda blast her.

However my other half just called me in tears saying the guy who came out to estimate the job said we’d have to take her off the road for 6 months, which is not viable as its a coffee and crepe business.

So if any of you know of someone who can help us out.

We might even just go over the existing paint so the van can earn some money over the summer.

Please help us find someone to paint her for a decent price.

Thanks in advance

Simon

contact dave cop the man with the old American classic car,he will help you.

Thanks Bassett,

Do you have any contact details or links so I can find him?

You could hand paint it, it isn't too hard..... use a very good brush and coach enamel....or even use a paint roller..

contacted dave cop by email and asked if he can come on here and advise

try tim at mint motors or shaws at Loxley or Roberts auto body at walkley

thanks dave knew you would be able to advise

Get some Tekaloid coach paint and a foam roller and do it yourself

Providing the body work is solid, it may be worth considering a Vinyl wrap over the whole fan. Its quick and looks good once done, usually cheaper too.

A van such as this is far too good to hand paint or cover with vinyl (which would be practically impossible due to all the corrugated panels).

As you (OP) know, these vans are very much sought after and fetch top money, so a decent paint job is well worth the investment. If it were car sized, I'd recommend John Bee, but not sure if they could accommodate a van. Is it the short or long wheelbase?

I know 2CV City in Bradford deal with these vans, so maybe they could help?

The problem is that it has previously been hand painted. This is where the damage was done. Before it can be painted to the standard it deserves the old paint has to be removed (or at the very least flatted) to give a good surface.

There isn't a quick fix I'm afraid, but a decision could be made to accept the inevitable poor finish and just change the colour? That would be quickest, or soda blast and have a proper re-spray £3 - £6000

The problem is that it has previously been hand painted. This is where the damage was done. Before it can be painted to the standard it deserves the old paint has to be removed (or at the very least flatted) to give a good surface.

There isn't a quick fix I'm afraid, but a decision could be made to accept the inevitable poor finish and just change the colour? That would be quickest, or soda blast and have a proper re-spray £3 - £6000

I looked all over the place to have my 2CV soda blasted and came up with nowhere in the immediate vicinity. The OP's HY van will suffer very badly if any other kind of blasting is used as all the panels will warp. Soda blasting was first used/developed to clean the Statue of Liberty as it will not affect the metal whatsoever … just bog standard baking soda that explodes (in a microscopic way) on impact.

I'm going to use an industrial paint stripper when I get round to it … I'm welding in (very many) new panels at the mo (not patching). Certainly not Nitromors which is completely useless and a waste of money. Once stripped, a quick coat of acid etch primer which can be done without need of a spray booth by myself. Having done considerable research, this is the way to go barring soda blasting.

The more of this work is done by the owner (tedious/time consuming), the cheaper the end result will be, although 3-6 grand seems about right for a re-spray, dependent on finish, although there are savings which could be made.

To be honest, much of this/all could be recouped if the vehicle is sold on, as finish is what people look for/expect with such a vehicle. Look on ebay at ones for sale. I think they're fantastic. :)