Ford starcraft 6 wheeler camper, anyone seen one?

There used to be one until recently at Lowedges, on Gervase Road i think, a white one though i cant remember whether it was 6 wheeler. It disappeared about 18 months ago though.

ive seen one within the last 6 months being driven through parson cross on a few different occasions being driven by a female

theres been a couple on ebay for sale recently

Im sure there was a club for them i remember seeing loads of them at kit car shows years ago

Does anyone have a starcraft camper for sale

hi ive got one just starting to do it up ,bought a porta potty, all types of energy 12v 240 gas fridge,silent generator,as was aiming to make it self sufficient.have taken the interior apart just the sink and gas hob /grill left at the back,work leaves me very little time to do anything (7days)at the moment.Its a ford Starcraft on v5 and was built 1993 has a q plate obviously the chassis and fascia and steering was a cortina ,but chassis was extended to put the extra axle and wheels on it giving the Thunderbirds look ha.

---------- Post added 21-06-2018 at 20:11 ----------

got a starcraft but made by the people who made the "prisoners" car i was told,rippedeverything out at the back and plan to bring the interior into the current century,ie black and chromy.bought last year not done a stroke yet,cheers garry

Hello everyone.

Well, what can I say? The StarCraft landed on my front garden just over a month ago and I'm having a lot of fun with it. (So far).

It seems to be a rare beastie. No one knows how many were made, or how many were made by Spartan themselves. As I understand it, the factory made examples all retained their original registration no.s and mine is one of those. They were apparently supplied as an empty shell and the customer was left to furnish the interior to his own specification. This probably explains the lack of photographs available of the interior habitation compartment and mine is completely empty at the moment, having been stripped out by one of its many previous owners.

I am starting from scratch. I suspect that my StarCraft has not been on the road for the past twenty years or so and it has had a lot of disillusioned owners in that time. I just hope that I do not become yet another of them and that I will succeed in getting this one back on the road. Any hints and tips from other owners out there will be very much appreciated. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you have one or used to have one, or if you know something that I don't know about them, and I will try to keep you updated on my progress with the rebuild.

Hi,  found your post on this forum whilst looking for information on Starcraft campers and noted that you had acquired one a little over a year ago.  I too have one which I purchased recently and thought we might swap notes.

Unlike yours mine has never been off the road since its build in the 1980's on a 1972 Mk 3 Ford Cortina originally an estate.  It is fully kitted out, bed's, kitchen, storage units, tables, extensive kitchen with sink, hot and cold water, two burner stove with grill an oven, fridge and even a toilet. The interior is still very tidy and useable but the engine compartment and bits of the bodywork need a bit of tlc.

With the vehicle came masses of history incuding an original colour brochure, assembly details and a load of Starcraft Owners Club newsletters and contact details of most of the original buyers. From what I can make out the bodies were initially shipped out from the USA for self build in the early 80's then taken on by Spartan Kit Cars who would still offer a kit for self build or supply a ready built camper on the buyer car with the interior to the donor car.s owners preferences.

If you get back to me with the reg number of ours I will check to see if it is on the list of purchasers.  Pity yours is still on a "Q" plate mine has been changed to the donor car's reg  or an age related one, not sure which and had the 1600cc engine and four speed box replaced with a 2 litre Pinto engine and type 9  five speed box. 

If you want to send me your email address I will send you pictures and other information.

Cheers,

Ray.

On 09/02/2009 at 03:32, Humperlumper said:

I think I've seen photos/pics of one.

Is it the cortina mk4 or 5 front. Same as the P100 pick up before they used the sierra front?

If it is P100 based it should be pretty tough to wear it out!

What reg / year is it?

Any chance of posting some photos?

the kitchen is at the rear, and lower, so even me at 6'1 can stand, a toilet and wardrobe, then into the seats/table/bed area. there is a little storage, and over the roof you can climb to a place were kids can sleep.

Seen a few on ebay now and again, but all Q plate, and someone in a kit car forum said this was one of the orig demos.

The previous owner was a huge C&W fan, so covered in stars n stripes, eages and air horns.

Hoping to take it all over Europe this year, as was planned for last year..

only touble is no power steering, and its not the most comfy thing to drive, esp as 1000 miles is what i have done in 1 day before.

Not fast but been told the 2.5 diesel lump is like a tractor so can pull a lot of weight and go and go...

got no gotos, as camera broke.

The orig doors are there, but with a fibre glass cover, the bonnet, front etc etc is all fibreglass.