Can dogs really smell your fear?

Good afternoon. I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question!

Is it true that dogs know when your afraid of them? I'm going to a friends house and they have quite an aggressive dog and I'm very worried it will sense I'm nervous and head straight for me! I have asked if they would put it in another room but they said it will be fine. I am a dog owner myself but still wary of some breeds. Would i be best just trying to ignore the dog altogether when I get there?

Thanks

Whether or not dogs sense fear is not the issue. How you feel about the situation is the important thing. You have asked these people to put the dog in another room and they have declined. It’s up to you whether you visit them but if you want an opinion, mine is that I would not go. I always put my dogs in another room when people visit because you cannot assume that everyone likes them and it is common courtesy to make visitors feel at ease.

Edited by ccit

I don't think they can literally smell fear as unless your body is producing adrenaline or cortisol (which I'm not sure dogs can smell) then no, they can't literally smell it.

However, yes, most dogs are aware of when you are nervous or uncomfortable which can in turn make them fearful or uncomfortable. A dog is able to read the 'honest side of your face'. A dog will also read your body language easily, notice jerky or rigid movements and other subtle signs or your state of mind.

I used to have a reactive great Dane and would happily put bed outside if she made people uncomfortable, but I'd be upset and refuse to put my other dogs in another room unless they were allergic as they're the friendliest dogs in the world and this is their home.

If you're uncomfortable, don't go. Instead ask to meet in a mutual place and be honest. If you do go, simply ignore the dog. Do make direct eye contact, keep your hands relaxed by your side and let the dog sniff you as it pleases to put it at ease. Don't be left alone with the dog, if the owner leaves the room calmly follow them. Don't make any sudden or reactive gestures or sounds as that may spook the dog. If the dog goes to jump up you just calmly turn your back to it.