IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Attercliffe lads

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

01-09-2018, 21:31   #201
hackey lad

Total Posts: 4,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMegson View Post
Glen do you remember Dave Pinder he is about your age and lived at
30 Stephenson rd. we lived at 34 Baldwin street just off Stephenson rd.
Do you or anyone remember the Ledger family , lived just off Stephenson rd on Birch road
03-09-2018, 22:24   #202
arrodbo

Total Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline Bell View Post
I remember Violet Berry. She went to live in a flat and she cleaned the betting office at Highate Tinsley. Unfortunately she passed away some years ago. I haven't seen Stan or Mick for some years now. Aunty Violet was the sister of my uncle Albert Spurr, he married my mums sister May.

Thankd for the reply,you are correct in what you say, I used to visit Aunt Violet on Sundays,I was about 8 or 9 years old and she had an aunt Mary Ann who lived there.Mick and Stan were in the Army on conscription. Aunt Mary Ann was my Grandma,s sister.

---------- Post added 03-09-2018 at 22:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrodbo View Post
Thankd for the reply,you are correct in what you say, I used to visit Aunt Violet on Sundays,I was about 8 or 9 years old and she had an aunt Mary Ann who lived there.Mick and Stan were in the Army on conscription. Aunt Mary Ann was my Grandma,s sister.
ps I was born in 1945 and lived in Hillsborough
11-09-2018, 14:08   #203
Christine xx

Total Posts: 3
Send a message via MSN to Christine xx Send a message via Yahoo to Christine xx
Glenn pickard.. do you remember being in the school play ( Beside the seaside ) you played Tony Brett I played Mrs Austin the landlady. 1962 ish. ?

Last edited by Christine xx; 11-09-2018 at 14:10.
12-09-2018, 16:27   #204
glennpickard

Total Posts: 436
Christine:

I assume you mean a school play at Hartley Brook ? Yes I loved to be in the plays, as I recall they were managed mostly by Mr. Inman ?
Which Christine are you ? The play I remember most at HB was one called "The man in the Bowler Hat." John Rawson played that man, and he came on at the beginning, in a Bowler, never moved and stayed on stage until the end ! All the kids were asking "What was he doing there?"

This is for GAZ 786. I lived at 28 Brinsworth St. for a while, the house was owned by Mr. Mrs. Elliot, such nice people. My mother and step dad rented part of the house. The Elliots had two grandchildren as I recall, Janet and Tony. I especially remember Janet as she was so attractive

---------- Post added 12-09-2018 at 11:46 ----------

Christine XX:

yes I remember most of the plays, I used to like participating. Which Christine were you ? I remember three Christines at school ! The play I remember most was the "Man in the Bowler Hat." Mr. Inman used to manage most of them as I recall

---------- Post added 13-09-2018 at 16:21 ----------

My guess is Christine Garner ?
14-09-2018, 17:57   #205
Christine xx

Christine Almond... I lived on Bodmin Street next door to Nancy Wright who fancied the pants off you. Mr Inman was my form teacher for last year at Hartley Brooke. Brilliant man. The play ran for 3 nights and earned a small mention in the Star. Listing all characters and actors. .still got the clipping. .... do you remember ' Tosh ' Hampton , Tony ? He died long time ago... that came as quite a shock as did Terry Morgan. Yes he moved to Tinsley as someone else mentioned. We used to see him and his wife in the club and pubs.
15-09-2018, 01:27   #206
MARY POPPINS

Total Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMegson View Post
---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 16:45 ----------

[/COLOR]

I have not heard my old nickname for 60 odd years "Bugsy Megson".
I am still alive 71 now playing golf 4 days a week, past captain of the Pontnewydd Golf Club in Wales and now the Seniors Captain. I remember all of the of the names above. I believe John Curtain is no longer with us.
Keep in touch It would be great to hear about everyone from the past.
I remember you, Im Glyn Hannans sister
_______
Practically perfect in every way
15-09-2018, 07:59   #207
raymondo1952

Total Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine xx View Post
Christine Almond... I lived on Bodmin Street next door to Nancy Wright who fancied the pants off you. Mr Inman was my form teacher for last year at Hartley Brooke. Brilliant man. The play ran for 3 nights and earned a small mention in the Star. Listing all characters and actors. .still got the clipping. .... do you remember ' Tosh ' Hampton , Tony ? He died long time ago... that came as quite a shock as did Terry Morgan. Yes he moved to Tinsley as someone else mentioned. We used to see him and his wife in the club and pubs.
I knew your Ernest when I was younger
15-09-2018, 16:20   #208
glennpickard

Total Posts: 436
Hello Christine:

I do remember you and the play but not a lot of detail, but I do remember the Star clipping. We should all have gone to Hollywood ! I'm sorry I guessed at the wrong Christine, that was such a popular girls name then
I remember you being in the same yard as Ann and Nancy Wright, and many others on Bodmin St, like Geoff Cooper, Paul Howe, Joe O'brien, Josie Parkin, Albert Ensman, and then myself, Roger Hole, Edwina Hill and Dennis Green were at the Britnall St end. Most of these people went to HB. Do you remember Mike Ashworth from Bodmin St ? I saw him and his wife, Sandra Stevens, two years ago at a reunion at the Liberal Club, as well as Pat Pickering and Jane McCormick, both HB. They usually hold the reunion in November, for Attercliffe and Brightside people but anyone from around the area.

Were you in the year behind me or two years behind ? The old school held great memories for me, although I wasn't the best behaved pupil, Pop Allen caned me twice and I got four each time. Can 't remember what it was for now, but I am sure I deserved it.
So what happened to Nancy? I know she married Paul Francis from Francis St. Where was Tony Hampton from ?

You can get me on my email glennepickard@hotmail.com and then we can exchange stories. I was in Sheffield last month, did a tour of the 'Cliff and there are some new (10-12 years old )houses built where Bodmin and Britnall St. used to be
15-09-2018, 19:21   #209
gaz 786

Total Posts: 388
Can anyone recall the Sharrocks and the Scarbroughs
_______
You get 10 minutes in heaven before the devil knows your dead
16-09-2018, 10:30   #210
backwardben

Total Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz 786 View Post
Can anyone recall the Sharrocks and the Scarbroughs
fred ,david, hemry, jack ,sunny , max ,kath, megan , annie ,ray ,evelynn,johnny,geo and a few more
_______
ani owld rags fa donkey stoney
20-09-2018, 10:59   #211
gaz 786

Total Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwardben View Post
fred ,david, hemry, jack ,sunny , max ,kath, megan , annie ,ray ,evelynn,johnny,geo and a few more
Yep thats them. Norman and gladys were my relations off Britnall st most of us ended up at firth park or lower shiregreen 😂😂
_______
You get 10 minutes in heaven before the devil knows your dead
24-09-2018, 23:28   #212
Christine xx

Bossy boots. Would you know, Norma Marsh ... Carol Gabbitas.... Linda Thulborn... probably got last names spelled wrong ... they all lived round there and went to huntsmans gardens. Then Hartley Brooke. Carol Higgins as well.
Reply To Topic