St George not welcome in Russia World Cup.

This mornings London Times informs us that our National flag of St George and merry England is imperialistic and antagonistic and according to our police force should not be seen on display at the coming World cup in Russia .

The authorities inform us that our flag is a prized trophy for the hooligans from other Countries ,due to this we therefore should not show it.

Why not just pull out of this shambles seems to be the Question as even more issues arise due to the current situation with Russia.

Supporters going to Russia must make sure they are well insured for injuries. I wouldn't go for a free ticket!

This mornings London Times informs us that our National flag of St George and merry England is imperialistic and antagonistic and according to our police force should not be seen on display at the coming World cup in Russia .

The authorities inform us that our flag is a prized trophy for the hooligans from other Countries ,due to this we therefore should not show it.

Why not just pull out of this shambles seems to be the Question as even more issues arise due to the current situation with Russia.

Why don't they just fly the Union Jack, it worked well for England in 1966.

Daily mail link please

Why don't they just fly the Union Jack, it worked well for England in 1966.

Because it is the Union Flag and not the flag of England. England's flag is the flag of St George, white background with a red cross.

Angel1

Because it is the Union Flag and not the flag of England. England's flag is the flag of St George, white background with a red cross.

Angel1

Yes, I think we all know that. My point is that English football fans took the Union flag to football matches before they started taking the St. George flag to games. If you look at pictures of the crowd in 1966 you will see the Union flag and it was the same at Mexico in 1970. The Union flag is less imperialistic than the flag of St.George. England fans don't have a problem with singing the British national anthem before games and the red cross of St George is part of the makeup of the Union flag.

St George wasn't even English, I think, so it's a fairly arbitrary selection.

St George wasn't even English, I think, so it's a fairly arbitrary selection.

Isn't he also the patron saint of Greece?

Yup. Wikipaedia tells me this:

Saint George, according to legend, was a Roman soldier of Greek origin and officer in the Guard of Roman emperor Diocletian, who was sentenced to death for refusing to recant his Christian faith. As a Christian martyr, he later became one of the most venerated saints in Christianity, and was especially venerated by the Crusaders. George's parents were Christians of Greek background, his father Gerontius was a Roman army official from Cappadocia, and his mother Polychronia was a Christian and a Greek native from Lydda in the Roman province of Syria Palaestina.

Born: 280 AD · Lod, Israel

Died: 303 AD · Nicomedia, Turkey

Parents: Polychronia (Mother) · Gerondios (Father)

Ta, Jeffrey.