As a Tory voter, are you offended by being called 'Gammon face'?

Apparently it's a label that some have recently started calling a certain demographic of right wing voter.

I can't be sure, but I think it started on an edition of Question Time the last election, when a succession of middle aged men started having a go at Jeremy Corbyn about whether he would be tough/insane enough to 'push the red button' and blow the world up.

Anyway I've got a screenshot of the men in the audience, just in case you've forgotten:

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/03/20/brexitlibertarianalt-right-people-say-vs-mean/

Anyway today, the DUP MP Emma Little-Pengelly tweeted:

I'm appalled by the term "gammon" now frequently entering the lexicon of so many (mainly on the left) & seemingly be accepted. This is a term based on skin colour & age - stereotyping by colour or age is wrong no matter what race, age or community. It is just wrong

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/supernumbergammongate-row-breaks-out-over-gammon-insult-for-middle-aged-red-faced-brexiteers-after-mp-calls-out-derogatory-term/ar-AAxgzXm

A large chunk of the common gammon face population spend their time banging on political correctness going mad, how free speech doesn't exist and calling (mainly young) people who disagree them snowflakes, I'd not just call them gammon faced but have it put on their drivers licence and/or passport.

Guest makapaka
Apparently it's a label that some have recently started calling a certain demographic of right wing voter.

I can't be sure, but I think it started on an edition of Question Time the last election, when a succession of middle aged men started having a go at Jeremy Corbyn about whether he would be tough/insane enough to 'push the red button' and blow the world up.

Anyway I've got a screenshot of the men in the audience, just in case you've forgotten:

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/03/20/brexitlibertarianalt-right-people-say-vs-mean/

Anyway today, the DUP MP Emma Little-Pengelly tweeted:

I'm appalled by the term "gammon" now frequently entering the lexicon of so many (mainly on the left) & seemingly be accepted. This is a term based on skin colour & age - stereotyping by colour or age is wrong no matter what race, age or community. It is just wrong

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/supernumbergammongate-row-breaks-out-over-gammon-insult-for-middle-aged-red-faced-brexiteers-after-mp-calls-out-derogatory-term/ar-AAxgzXm

I think it’s wrong. But pales into insignificance with the amount of “loony left” stuff you see.

I am not a Tory voter but I have just had a fewdrinks and think I have a got a face :)

This right here is why you should not post while drunk. Good morning.

Edited by monkey104

It’s not all Tory voters. In fact many of the Gammon are not Tory voters at all. Some of them are UKIP. Some are Labour. It’s a group of middle aged angry shouty men (and some women) who become pink faced and riled up whenever they get started on Brexit and its related themes.

Gammon is a perfect descriptive term.

---------- Post added 15-05-2018 at 06:47 ----------

I am not a Tory voter but I have just had a fewdrinks and think I have a got a face :)

You’d go nice with an egg

Why should it be acceptable to be offensive to anyone?

Its for school playgrounds to call people names - ooops they can't as its bullying.

Why should it be acceptable to be offensive to anyone?

Its for school playgrounds to call people names - ooops they can't as its bullying.

How is it offensive?

Next you’ll be saying remoaners are rasherist.

Just another example of the nastiness seeping into everyday life.

Name calling is not really the way to encourage or educate people (no matter how much of a lost cause they are :)).

In fact its the exact opposite of what a progressive minded person is supposed to do.

Though to be fair I've dished out plenty on here. Granted always to people I consider duplicitous, but I don't feel good about doing it.

Just another example of the nastiness seeping into everyday life.

Name calling is not really the way to encourage or educate people (no matter how much of a lost cause they are :)).

In fact its the exact opposite of what a progressive minded person is supposed to do.

Though to be fair I've dished out plenty on here. Granted always to people I consider duplicitous, but I don't feel good about doing it.

Progressive-minded people are not supposed to have fun?

Really?

Progressive-minded people are not supposed to have fun?

Really?

Genuinely progressive people aren't mean spirited and in it to make themselves feel better.

Which is why I have a problem with so many of the people claiming to be progressive on this forum.

I don't think they are, I think they are in it for the back slaps and feeling of superiority.

Genuinely progressive people aren't mean spirited and in it to make themselves feel better.

Which is why I have a problem with so many of the people claiming to be progressive on this forum.

I don't think they are, I think they are in it for the back slaps and feeling of superiority.

It’s not mean spirited is it. It’s poking fun at people who get so worked up their faces turn pink. On national TV. They put themselves out there, in the public gaze, and basically get so angry they end up the same colour as a cut of meat.

The gammon debate is literally the least important thing ever in British politics. Ever.

That was until it has hijacked by the right wing to build a preposterous narrative that middle aged white men are the true victims of racism.

It’s comical. You could not make it up.

It’s not mean spirited is it. It’s poking fun at people who get so worked up their faces turn pink. On national TV. They put themselves out there, in the public gaze, and basically get so angry they end up the same colour as a cut of meat.

The gammon debate is literally the least important thing ever in British politics. Ever.

That was until it has hijacked by the right wing to build a preposterous narrative that middle aged white men are the true victims of racism.

It’s comical. You could not make it up.

There is so much wrong with your line of thinking I don't know where to begin. Swapping a few words around in your 1st paragraph and it could easily have been written by a racist or bigot.

No point me going over this as it's been shown time and time again that you won't accept when you are wrong.