Getting planning permission in principle.

My mum has a large patch of ground at the bottom of the garden, (a piece of the field) when they bought the place 40 years ago it had planning permission but obviously that has lapsed! What do I need to do go get outline planning for a Bunglalow? If it was a developer they would probably stick 4 or 5 houses on it so hoping a single bungalow would get less objections.

Do you just give them the location of the ground and say you want to build on it or do you have to supply them plans?

Any tips ?

My mum has a large patch of ground at the bottom of the garden, (a piece of the field) when they bought the place 40 years ago it had planning permission but obviously that has lapsed! What do I need to do go get outline planning for a Bunglalow? If it was a developer they would probably stick 4 or 5 houses on it so hoping a single bungalow would get less objections.

Do you just give them the location of the ground and say you want to build on it or do you have to supply them plans?

Any tips ?

You have to supply the council with plans and elevations, as well as information such as the materials that will be used, as they need to be able to assess the impact of the development. It will also need to include a larger site plan showing the context in order that things such as access and can be appreciated.

The first step would be engaging an architect, who will be able to draw up the plans for you, and submit these to the council.

There's a form you can fill in to ask for pre-application advice: Getting pre-application advice.

My mum has a large patch of ground at the bottom of the garden, (a piece of the field) when they bought the place

How is access gained? Does the plot front to another road or will an easement be needed through the retained land?

There's a form you can fill in to ask for pre-application advice: Getting pre-application advice.

I tried this form and got the response come back when you have your plans drawn up.

The architects I spoke to suggested not bothering with this as it just adds a couple of months delay into the process.

Thanks everyone, i was hoping you could get a rough idea of the chances of success before getting an architect. Seems a lot of work and expense if they won't even consider it! The plot is at the bottom on of the garden, the bottom corner of a field. Access could be made from the lane that is adjacent to it.

Any tips ?

go for planning getting the 4 or 5 houses instead, sell it with planning and at least 250-300k kerching!:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone, i was hoping you could get a rough idea of the chances of success before getting an architect. Seems a lot of work and expense if they won't even consider it! The plot is at the bottom on of the garden, the bottom corner of a field. Access could be made from the lane that is adjacent to it.

If, as you say, there was outline planning previously, then that increases the likelihood of gaining permission now.

The things to consider will be the access, as the ease of access for cars may have reduced in the preceding years (if there has been other development nearby), and that there will be enough room for parking and amenity space (as these standards will have been different in the past).

You can see on the Sheffield Policies map what designation the land has (presumably it will be housing if it is in a residential area), but you can check to see that it is not listed as open space or green belt (you mentioned it was a piece of a field), which would make getting planning more difficult.

You can also check on the Sheffield planning website to see if any neighbours have done similar developments.

If all those things seem fine and there aren't any big red flags to indicate planning would be unlikely, then the next step would be engaging an architect to draw up the plans.

Also see how the land is zoned according to the unitary development plan for the locale.

If it's green belt you've got practically no chance, if it's considered in-fill development then it will depend on what the plan says about such development.

You might actually have more chance with a plan for high density housing, as councils need to meet average targets for density of new builds...