What influences your choice in terms of places to eat?

What influences you to go and try somewhere, for food, that you haven't tried before?

Do you actually do that when you go out? i.e. look to try somewhere new? Or do you generally stick to the same places time after time and prefer to stick with what you know? (And how did you know you liked those places before you tried them for the first time?:huh:)

I must admit, I'm always looking for new places to eat out - whether that be something simple, like a good fish and chip shop, or other type of takeaway, or a Michelin starred restaurant.

I'm influenced most by the following:

1. Independent Awards from respected sources.

2. Independent Reviews

3. Word of Mouth from respected sources

4. Personal experience

The "Independent" part is very important. I was shocked to learn some years ago that some of those "guide books" I'd been buying, like Egon Ronay, Le Routier, AA Guide, etc., were not truly independent at all. They were taking money for advertising certain places in their guide book. I've never bought them since for that reason.

Independent Awards can be influential, but it depends who's giving out the Awards. If a restaurant has an award from "The Good Food Guide" - that's a truly independent guide - then that's pretty powerful. But there are lots of fake Awards out there.

Same with reviews. TripAdvisor is full of fake reviews. People getting their mates to put a positive review on there to push their business up the rankings. Having said that, TripAdvisor can be good to get ideas, but I'd always look at how many reviews someone has written and what type of places they'd written about before letting that influence my opinion.

Word of Mouth is still one of the most powerful influences, but, it has to be coming from someone whose opinion I respect, and that's down to "reference points" I suppose. i.e. what's their experience of such places like? For example, if I wanted to know which is the best transport cafe between here and London, I'd probably ask a lorry driver, but I probably wouldn't ask the same person about fine dining.

At the end of the day, personal experience is probably the most powerful influence of all. If I try a place, and it's good, then I'm likely to go back again, assuming it's accessible and affordable to me.

I've got a few places around Sheffield that I haven't tried yet, but am interested to try, for one of the 4 reasons I've listed above:

1. Rhubarb Shed Cafe

2. Kito's

3. Oisoi

First two are influenced by word of mouth from people whose opinions I know and trust. Third one is influenced by third party reviews and the fact this is something very different and unusual for Sheffield.

Arrrr much?

Word of mouth, plus Tripadvisor with same caveats the OP mentioned. Don't really look at restaurant guides, independent or otherwise. Value (as opposed to price) is also important. Don't mind paying a bit more for a really special meal.

The OP should definitely give Oisoi a try - impressive food in a very pleasant environment.

Word of mouth, reviews and sometimes just curiosity. I've been known to give a place a go just because it looks interesting without knowing much about it, in fact that's how we first went to Oisoi, we were walking past and having looked at the menu decided to book for the next evening. It was great and has been great every time we've been.

word of mouth and Trip Advisor

I often have to stay away somewhere for work so need to find somewhere to eat to make the most of my humungous expense account (joke).

I usually look on Tripadvisor just to get a list of places in that location then I'll do a quick scope to see which ones take my fancy, based on style of cuisine, then I'll visit each individual website to check out the menu.

On other occasions we'll just be very impromptu. We'll go out for a few drinks then just decide where to go based solely on what sort of food we fancy and where looks nice.

I am a bit of a sucker for Tripadvisor, theres not many places ill plan to go without looking it up on there first. But of course, word of mouth always wins.

I have to admit that impromptu meals out without a quick peek at the menu (at the very least!) makes me slightly nervous, haha.

Guest makapaka
What influences you to go and try somewhere, for food, that you haven't tried before?

Do you actually do that when you go out? i.e. look to try somewhere new? Or do you generally stick to the same places time after time and prefer to stick with what you know? (And how did you know you liked those places before you tried them for the first time?:huh:)

I must admit, I'm always looking for new places to eat out - whether that be something simple, like a good fish and chip shop, or other type of takeaway, or a Michelin starred restaurant.

2. Independent Reviews

4. Personal experience

The "Independent" part is very important. I was shocked to learn some years ago that some of those "guide books" I'd been buying, like Egon Ronay, Le Routier, AA Guide, etc., were not truly independent at all. They were taking money for advertising certain places in their guide book. I've never bought them since for that reason.

Independent Awards can be influential, but it depends who's giving out the Awards. If a restaurant has an award from "The Good Food Guide" - that's a truly independent guide - then that's pretty powerful. But there are lots of fake Awards out there.

Same with reviews. TripAdvisor is full of fake reviews. People getting their mates to put a positive review on there to push their business up the rankings. Having said that, TripAdvisor can be good to get ideas, but I'd always look at how many reviews someone has written and what type of places they'd written about before letting that influence my opinion.

Word of Mouth is still one of the most powerful influences, but, it has to be coming from someone whose opinion I respect, and that's down to "reference points" I suppose. i.e. what's their experience of such places like? For example, if I wanted to know which is the best transport cafe between here and London, I'd probably ask a lorry driver, but I probably wouldn't ask the same person about fine dining.

At the end of the day, personal experience is probably the most powerful influence of all. If I try a place, and it's good, then I'm likely to go back again, assuming it's accessible and affordable to me.

I've got a few places around Sheffield that I haven't tried yet, but am interested to try, for one of the 4 reasons I've listed above:

1. Rhubarb Shed Cafe

2. Kito's

3. Oisoi

First two are influenced by word of mouth from people whose opinions I know and trust. Third one is influenced by third party reviews and the fact this is something very different and unusual for Sheffield.

The rhubarb shed is excellent. Great food great prices great service nice surroundings.

Pound for pound its my favourite.

2. Independent Reviews

4. Personal experience

1. Rhubarb Shed Cafe

2. Kito's

3. Oisoi

Away from home ......Trip Advisor

In Sheff and it's locality.....maybe somewhere that catches my eye whilst out and about, or somewhere newly opened or somewhere that gets a mention in the Telegraph, all usually independents

Had a very nice lunch at the Summerhouse at the btm of Dore Rd last week.